Chapter 74 ❆ New Approach

A/N: Got asked how many chapters I plan on this book having, and how many words. To be honest, I hope to end Erindal's arc with this book (which means Evyionne's revenge on the Empress?) But that seems like a long way to go. Anyway, I'll just leave it and end it when it feels right.

"It seems you had a rather interesting weekend, Evyionne. Do tell this old man," he said with a smile as he nodded towards the harp I was holding.

"Yes, well...I realized I could better control my ability with music. All the humbo jumbo concentration in quiet and peace really doesn't cut it for me," I said.

"Hm..." He tugged on his goatee. "And it makes sense. After all, your power is too large for you alone to be able to use it freely. Having a conduit to deal with it should also work..."

He looked a little doubtful, which also made me feel doubtful. "Is something wrong with this arrangement?"

He smiled. "Not really, but this is usually seen on people...who are too weak to bring about their abilities in battle. The use of a instrument, I mean. That's why the Temple does not start its students with the use of weapons, and prefers them to first directly channel their energies using their own bodies as their weapons. It seems this is not the case for you—it's quite the opposite, in fact. We cannot go along this path the orthodox way."

"Oh yeah..." I trailed off.

"In fact, as it boils down to the size of it...indeed. The magnitude of having to lord over an entire element all on your own is much like any ill-fated person who cannot use the element they've been blessed with."

"What does that mean? How does it work?"

"Some people may have been aligned by the stars to be able to wield an element," the Abbot said. "But are doomed to never be able to wield it properly because they're lacking in body, mind, or soul to do so. In order to help with reining in their ability, they usually use tools. If you're seen using something like this this early, you'll face some criticisms."

"What's wrong with that?" I felt very indignant. "I don't understand the prejudice. If people can even the playing field by using things, why is it a problem?" I pointed out. "They were not dealt the same cards in life, so they find a way to have a fighting chance. Now that they do, people want to look down on it and condemn it because it makes them feel less privileged and powerful. What is up with that?"

The Abbot laughed. "Indeed. That's one way to see it. But let's not debate this. I'm saying this as reminder that some people may look down on you for this. But know that it's perfectly normal and you should not think much of it. You got into the Temple over thousands of other candidates. Martial arts and the universe are not static things, and the traditions are more flexible than you think."

"Okay. Sorry, I got angry..." I said.

"It's good you feel comfortable enough with me to say what you think," he said. "You tend to be a lot more pent up than most kids your age."

I was speechless. "I'm not a kid."

He laughed. "Of course, of course. Then shall we see what this is with your element?"

"To be honest, I can actually see things..." I said. "They're called Veils, they're responsible for reaping the soul once the vessel has expired."

The Abbot nodded. "I've heard of them...And how are they related to your ability?"

"They tend to come over whenever I use my abilities, so I've tried not to use it until now."

"I assume their presence means...certain consequences."