The End

The next few hours passed by in a slow blur. Ori remembered going back up to the security rooms, talking with a mouth that didn't belong to her, and then winding up back in her room. Up until now, her body had been moving on auto-pilot.

       "Honey? Are you feeling better now?" L pulled her down until her dead rested on his lap. She didn't fight against his grip; just let him comb his hands through her hair. Her scalp tingled where he touched. 

       "He's dead."

       "I know."

       "Light's dead."

       "... I know."

                                               <>       <>       <>  

       L had to pull Ori away from Light's body. Her eyes were wide and glazed over as he tugged her to the elevator and into the security room. 

       Aizawa and Matsuda were staring at Light's body over the monitors, and Rem was standing off somewhere to the side, but Ryuk was nowhere to be seen.

       "I guess we got our proof that he was Kira," Matsuda said. 

       "He confessed to everything," Ori whispered. "He confessed to the killings, he confessed to dragging Misa into it,"

       "He confessed to Vivian's murder." L finished for her. She didn't move or speak, just kept her eyes cast off somewhere else. 

       "How should we break the news to Chief?" L had never seen Aizawa look unsure of himself.

       "He lied to all of us," Matsuda whispered. "He lied to us and looked for Kira when we should've-" he broke off with a frustrated groan. He locked his eyes on L, tears welled up at the corners. "I'm sorry we didn't believe you."

       "Not one of us could've predicted the outcome. I think we should follow Aizawa's lead and focus on how we're going to tell the chief."

       "Excuse me," came Rem's hollow voice. She was holding out her long, claw-like hand. "I'd like to give Ryuk his Death Note back." L looked at the black book in his hands. So many people died because of this book. 

       "Would you mind we hold onto it for a little while longer?" He asked. "We're going to need proof along with the videotape to show the chief that his son was Kira." Rem seemed hesitant, like she didn't want to stay longer than she had to, but she eventually nodded. 

       "Five minutes, then I'll be taking his Death Note back."

       "Understood." L turned to Ori. Her hand was still in his, limp. "Stay here, Ori." She didn't not her confirmation that she understood. He let her hand go and it fell against her side. He turned to Matsuda; he was watching Ori with worried eyes. 

       "I want you to watch over her. Maybe try to get her to eat something." He nodded, and that was everything L needed to leave them all alone. Rem walked with him, though he didn't know why, nor did he question it and stayed silent.

       Chief Yagami was in a different section of the jail cells, meaning he hadn't heard Light's confession. When L stood on the other side of his cell, the old man perked up in his seat, a small smile of hope pulling at his mouth. L tried not to tear his eyes away from the glimmer in his eyes.

       "Is it over? Has Light been freed?" L swallowed thickly. 

       "It's over, but Light hasn't been freed." Chief Yagami's head tilted in confusion, mouth tugged down.