Go To Sleep (Edited)

Two weeks into the new headquarters and L was already up to his neck in new hypotheses and ideas. Infuriatingly enough, it was all thanks to Ori. She'd been working none stop, passing him notes and records. She played the video of Raye Penber dying on the subway on repeat a few times before ordering Matsuda to turn on the sound.

       "It's safe to assume that Raye had seen Kira's face by the way he reached for the doors before his death, maybe he said their name." So they turned on the sound. The speakers were filled with the sound of people walking and talking and subways rushing by. Ori, the ever-creative worker that she was, turned off some of the speakers, and a considerable amount of noise died away. She rewound the tape and pressed play. As usual, Raye clutched his chest and fell to the ground. As he reached out towards the doors, the heard feed in the speakers. It was grainy and broken, but L could just make it out. 

       "Lie- me..." Out of the corner of L's eyes, he saw Ori writing in a journal in front of her. Behind her, Matsuda was watching with disdainful eyes. He was chewing on his lip, like he wanted to say something but was holding himself back. His hands were curled into tight fists at his knees and he was visibly shaking. 

       As if he couldn't take something anymore, he slammed his hands on the table, shaking the cups on top, and marched over to L and Ori. He snatched a cupcake from the tray next to L, grabbed Ori by the nose, and smashed the cupcake into her face. L wasn't even sure if any of the cupcake got in her mouth, it just smeared all over her face.

       Matsuda was breathing hard; as if the effort of walking five feet and shoving sugar into someone's face was draining. 

       "This is insane!" He shouted. "When was the last time you've slept, or ate, or even changed your bandages?!" Ori stared up at him with wide eyes, then lowered her head. Her hand was up to keep the cupcake from falling. She moved to set it on the desk and wiped the excess frosting from her face. 

       She stood up shakily, and L was sure that she was going to fall over. 

       L just wanted to finish the Kira Case. All this stopping and starting was a real hindrance. 

       "Matsui, are you a religious man?" Ori asked in a calm voice. Matsuda swallowed heavily.

       "Y-yeah." He stuttered out. Ori nodded, hands over the back of the chair. 

       "Then you better pray to God that I don't skin you alive when I get back." She let go of the chair and limped over to Watari. They exchanged a few words, and Ori vanished. L turned his gaze to Matsuda, who was sweating, but his jaw was firm. 

       "I don't care if she's angry." He said. "She needs this."

                                             <>       <>       <>

       "Suffer you will, one way or another"
       ― Nilesh Rathod