Just A Few Hours (Edited)

It was almost midnight when Ori's phone went off. She'd been awake, mind still reeling from the day's events, so it wasn't like she'd been yanked from a good night's sleep, but the sudden noise made her jolt all the same. She reached over and flipped the screen up and pressed it into her ear.

       "Hello?" She asked cautiously. Who would be calling in the middle of the night?

       "Ms. Nanase," a familiar voice said on the other side. "It's L."

       Ori felt her stomach curl and chest tighten. "Y-yes. Hello. Hi." She internally cursed herself for sounding so suddenly nervous, but there was nothing she could do about it, and L didn't seem to care. 

       "Is there something you need?" She didn't even bother questioning how he had gotten her number. 

       "Yes, I was wondering if you would be willing to join me and the Task Force to help us find Kira." Ori was so shocked, her phone almost slipped from her hands. She scrabbled to grab it, muttering hurried curses as she did. When it was securely in her hand once more, she whispered into it.

       "You want me... to help you... catch Kira?" 

       "Yes." L answered, but she barely heard him. If Ori said yes, she would be working for the greatest detective in the world. Her hero.

       "Ms. Nanase? Are you still there?"

       "Y-ywah, I'm here, and I'll help you in any way that I can." She was on Cloud 9. No way she could pass up an opportunity like this.

       "Fantastic. I'll be sending a vehicle to your home. Please be ready in twenty minutes."

       "W-wait! Right now?!" This was all moving so fastm Ori's head was spinning.

       "Yes, is that a problem?"

       "No! Not at all!" Ori wouldn't be falling asleep any time soon anyway. On top of today's events keeping Ori awake, L was now asking for her help. Sleep was that childhood from that you lose contact with and only see for special family-friend occasions.

       "Good. Please delete this number." And the line went dead. 

       'I guess deleting his number makes sense, just in case anyone calls it, but no one goes through my phone.' Without dwelling too much on it, Ori deleted the number and tossed her phone on her bed. She looked down at her clothes. She was wearing just baggy sweatpants and a too-big shirt. She knew that L wasn't one to care too much about clothes, but it'll be better to focus if she wearing more day-ish clothes, so she changed into a pair of ripped blue jeans and a smaller t-shirt. She tiptoed down the stairs, careful not to make too much noise, lest she wake up Vivian. She slipped on her boots and opened the door slowly, remembering the creaking sound it always gives off when opened. There were only a few until the car showed up, and Ori slipped out into the frigged night air. She let out a shiver. 

       'I should've known it would be chilly, but it's too late to go back for a jacket now.' 

       As she closed the door behind her, the soft purr of a car engine behind her. When she turned, a sleek back limo was waiting. 

       'So he knows where I live and sends a limo like  it's no big deal.'  She thought dryly.'This guy's gonna be a pain in my ass, isn't he?'

       The driver's side door to the limo opened and an old man dressed in a sharp suit stepped out. His expression was elderly and kind, yet tired like he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep. It was obvious that he worked for L. Ori exited the gated yard to her house and stepped out onto the sidewalk. Snow was finally beginning to stick to the ground and tangled itself in her wild curls.