A Stuttering Heartbeat

"WE'RE GETTING NOWHERE!" Light watched as Ori kicked an empty chair into a nearby wall. The clattering sound of plastic hitting concrete made everyone but him and L jump. Ori was seething, chest puffing with every angry breath she inhaled and exhaled. 

       "Getting angry isn't going to help us find Kira any faster." L scolded. 

       "I don't know, L. There was a time where Ori figured out an equation by screaming about how "bullshit and wrong" it was. After she calmed herself out, she was more mentally pliable. Just give her time. She'll eventually just burn herself out." Ori, who was mercilessly kicking the chair, whipped to face Light with a twisted expression. 

       "That's what you think! I'm an eternal Flame Baby!!" She kicked the chair a few more times, then went back to her own chair and plopped down as if her legs were made of jelly. 

       "Better?" Light asked with a teasing smile. 

       "Fuck off." She grumbled irritably. Light let out a chuckle. Ryuk watched everything with his upturned smile. 

       "If we could get back to finding a serial killer please." L looked at the two of them with an annoyed expression. 

       "Yeah, if Raito could just get off my back."

       "Don't be like that, Ori. We both know I was the only one who would tolerate you at school."

       "You're also the one who wouldn't leave me alone. I was perfectly content by myself."

       "You also would've failed math."

       "Isn't emotional well-being more important than academics?" Light knew that this was a playful argument. It was written all over Ori's face that she knew too, but L was gripping his knees tightly and frowning at the screen. 

       "I know things are a little tense with the arrival of Kira 2, but if we could just focus a little longer, I'm sure we could find something." 

       Ori righted the chair against the wall before slouching back down again. Under her breath, she muttered a sarcastic, "yeah, Raito." Which Ryuk thought was just hilarious. He cackled loudly in Light's ear.

                                                        <>       <>       <>

       "L," Watari's voice came out grainy over a loudspeaker. He sounded urgent. "Kira 2's on TV. Switch now." Before he even finished, Ori was shoving L out of the way and changing the screen to Live TV. He shot her a quick glare that she ignored, then turned to stare at the screen.  The familiarly deep and warbled voice came through the speaker, lighting Ori's soul with heated rage. Vivian has been murdered by Kira, and this fake was treating Kira like some sort of idol to be adored. Like a student having a crush on their teacher. It made Ori a level of angry she had never known she was capable of. Far more than when she slugged that bully. 

       It wasn't until she felt Raito pulling on her shoulder, did she realize how heavily she was breathing. Her heart was pounding in her chest, loud and heavy in her ears. She sucked in a slow breath, and let Raito pull her back into her chair. She collapsed in her seat, realizing that she had almost missed Kira 2'a entire monologue. 

       Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Ide launch from his seat. 

       "This is out of control. Someone needs to stop that bastard before he kills someone!!" He sped to the door on the other side of the room. 

       "Ide! Where are you going!?" Ori found herself out of her chair once again, staring after Ide's retreating figure. 

       "None of you are doing anything! I'm going to that damn Sakura News station and tell them to turn off the broadcast."