» seven «

Beautiful covers by  hxneybee_0 below! I love them, thank you so much!! Guys, help me pick because I can't decide to save my life! Please and thank you!

When I was younger, and my mom was still alive, she used to tell me to never run away from a hard situation, no matter how bad it crushes you. Because in the end, it would always come back to hurt you, and when it did, it would hurt ten times more than it would if you'd just originally faced.

Her words were something I'd always kept at heart - they were the only things I had left of her, anyways. She was a fierce woman, and I preached to be like her. But I was just a coward - never standing up to to my dad, or Puck...or anyone.

If she were here, she'd be disappointed to see that I was badly aching to run away from the situation I was currently in. To run away from Puck, Owen, my dad and everyone.

"So," Puck started, his words coming out gritted. I could tell he was glaring murderously at the boy across from me even from behind.

Owen just stared at Puck in confusion, and if I weren't in this situation, I probably would have laughed at how adorable he looked - as if Puck wasn't the scariest guy in town. "Umm, can we help you?"

I bit down on my lip - hard. Dear God, why would he say that? Please, please, God, give Owen the power to shift into a squirrel.

I practically felt the anger that radiated off of Puck in waves. Was Owen ready to sign his death wish or was he just dumb? - not that he wasn't dumb in the former situation either but that was besides the point.

Puck let out a humorless cackle and I felt my heart start beating ten times faster. "Help me? Help me?" He laughed again, and it was really starting to scare me. "I should be the one helping you understand."

"Understand...what?" Owen asked, glancing at me in confusion. I just pursed my lips.

"Don't look at her," Puck snarled and I felt myself tense. Owen was about to look back at me again, but Puck cut him off with, "I said don't fucking look at her!"

Owen shook his head, looking incredulous. By now, a lot of people were staring at us. "And, why is that?" he asked. Puck was about to speak again, but Owen beat him to it. "Look, man, I don't know who you are, but do you mind - maybe, you know...leaving? And I say this out of respect. Me and my frie --"

"She is not you friend," Puck growled, interrupting him. "She's m --"

I stood up abruptly and everyone went silent. The tension in the air suffocated me to the point where my feet itched to run out of the cafe and never look back. But I stood my ground...for my mom.

Swallowing, I licked my dry lips, and without turning to look at him, I said, "Go away, Puck." My voice trembled. I knew it. Everyone knew it. But at the moment, I didn't care. I just wanted Puck to go away. I didn't want to live my life with the fear of Puck shadowing me and following me and dictating my life.

I was sick and tired of it. I was done with it.

And finally, I was going to gather the guts to end it, no matter how scared I was.

From my peripheral, I caught Puck's dark eyes. They weren't angry like I'd expected them to be. Just full of shock and hurt.

My hands balled into fists beside me and I found myself getting angry. He didn't have the right to be hurt. If anyone, it should have been me. Me. Only me. Because he hurt me. Not the other way around.

"Leave, Puck," I say again when he doesn't make a move to leave, my teeth gritted.

I see his expression falter, years of our companionship flickering behind his eyes. "You really want that?" he asks softly, sounding wounded.

"Yes," I whisper back just as softly, though Puck catches on to my hesitation. There was a time when he was a real gentleman to me, like Owen. There was a time when he was just as gentle and nice and easygoing.

But something happened to him - something that changed him.

And I'd never know what because he'd never tell me. And from then on...things just got...bad. But I still cared for him, still looked for that same gentle and nice boy. I'd been justifying his actions for too long now. And I wasn't going to do it anymore.

If he wasn't going to be good to me, I wasn't going to be good to him.

"Yes," I said again, a little louder.

A small tear escaped my eye as Puck turned, shoulder's sagged. And I felt my heart break a little as I watched him go.

»« »« »«

"Who was that?" Owen finally asked, breaking the tense silence between us as I finished up my drink. "You know him?"

I pursed my lips. "His name is Puck. And yeah, he's someone I know."

"He doesn't seem too nice," Owen commented and I cracked a small smile. "I think I've heard of him. Is he the guy that bullies everyone?"

I sighed and looked down into my empty cup. "Yeah."

Owen's eyes immediately widened in concern. "Are you okay. Does he bother you? I --"

"No," I interrupted and upon seeing his expression, quickly added, "well, not like he bullies the others, I guess."

Owen cocked a brow. "So...he does worse?"

"No." I shaked my head, blinking as I racked my brain for an answer. "He just - I just... You know, it doesn't matter."

Owen gaped. "What do you mean it doesn't matter?" he asked incredulously. "Of course it does! If he's bothering you, it definitely matters to me."

"Look." I sighed. "I appreciate your concern, but everything's fine. It doesn't matter." Owen looked like he was about to argue so I quickly cut in, rising from my seat across from him. "I have to go."

My heart clenched at the way Owen's face fell. "Well...can we do this another time? I know this time was ruined and --"

"I'll think about it," I said quietly. He nodded somberly and I decided to send him a small, reassuring smile before leaving the cafe - the same way Puck left.

Confusing ending, but will be explained further in the next chapters