» twenty four «

The following morning was chilly, foggy and damp from the rain late last night. It reflected my mood perfectly, and I yearned to stay in bed. But I didn't need to miss any more days of school than I already did.

So I dragged myself to school, shoulders slumped from the weight of my backpack and legs aching from the walk.

I didn't realize a car was pulling up beside the sidewalk until the door slammed, indicating that someone had just gotten out. My lips curved up into a small smile at the sight of the familiar pink car and blond hair and I halted, watching Owen stride up to me with a smile on his face.

"Helloooo," Owen greeted, beaming despite the melancholy weather.

My own smile widened, and I appreciated the effort he made to forget about the last time we were in each other's presence. "Hey!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Thought I'd give you a ride to school," he said, shrugging like it was no big deal.

"Aww," I cooed. "You're so sweet! You didn't have to do that."

Owen flushed, and started rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "It's no big deal. You were tired the last time you walked to school, so I thought it'd be easier for you."

I bit my lip to contain the smile that threatened to break out on my face. He was so...nice. So gentlemanly. So unlike Puck, who continuously broke my heart. Owen was safe, and though that was what I wanted for so long now, I couldn't undo being used to danger...to Puck. The thought of him was consistent at the back of my mind, and I hated that. Why was I thinking about him when someone like Owen was standing right in front of me, thoughtful enough to notice that I was struggling the other day and making amends that would make me more comfortable?

"Thank you, Owen," I said sincerely, shaking off all thoughts of Puck as I opened the door to the passenger side of his car and ducked in.

Owen re-entered right after me and smiled. "No problem."

Just as Owen began driving, something black and shiny caught my attention from the corner of my eye. Frowning, I turned slightly in my seat to look out the window. There, in the shadows, a familiar black car was parked. It was too hidden to tell whose it was, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere. My heart lurched when a silhouette inside the car moved, seeming to turn towards me.

I quickly looked away, my heart thumping inside my chest. It's no one, I reassured myself, wringing my fingers together in my lap. It's just a stranger. Someone I don't know. Someone who happened to park there due to their own reasons.

It had nothing to do with me.

Taking a deep breath, I allowed my mind to accept that fact for a minute, relaxing as Owen drove, the soft hum of the radio in the background granting me what few seconds of peace it could.

Because God only knew what was waiting for me at school.

»« »« »«

"Polly Woods. Please send Polly Woods to the front office. I repeat, please send Polly Woods to the front office."

Everyone turned to look at me and I flushed underneath their curious gazes. Did I do something wrong? I wondered, clutching the strap of my backpack tightly as I hoisted it onto my shoulder.

Everyone watched me as I go and I felt extremely awkward when I accidentally stumbled, tripping over my own shoes. Owen - who was in my class this period - sent me a questioning look and I shrugged, just as confused as him.