» twelve «

I blinked. "A chance," I scoffed. "A chance? After everything...you want a chance?"

"Please," Puck pleaded, running a hand through his hair in distress. "I know...that after everything - it's going to be hard for you to... But please, just give me this last chance to prove to you that I can be good."

I stared at him, a burst of various emotions washing over me. I didn't know how to feel - what to think. How could I give a chance to the man who had a part in ruining my life? But... How could I not give a chance to a man who was begging me to? Maybe he really was sorry. Maybe this was his way of getting redemption for the awful things he'd done.

A spark of hope ignited in Puck's eyes when he saw my contemplative expression, not being given a definite answer yet. "You don't have to decide now, Polly. I'll give you space. I'll give you time."

"How can I be so sure you won't...you won't...," I stumbled over my words.

But Puck seemed to understand. "You won't be sure... It's a-a risk. And I know I'm asking a lot. But I'm willing to try... I just hope you will too."

I stayed silent for awhile, watching him as I thought over all my choices. Finally, softly, I said, "I'll think about it."

A sigh of relief escaped Puck's mouth and he slumped back into his booth across from me, a small smile forming on his lips as he stared at me thoughtfully. I let myself smile a little, too, though I still felt hesitant.

The waiter setting our food on the table cut off our moment, but I was glad because I was starving and the food looked amazing.

"Thank you, Polly," Puck said once the waiter took his leave. "I won't let you down."

And for a moment, I let myself believe that he wouldn't.

»« »« »«

"You can take me home now," I told Puck as he backed out of the parking lot.

He shook his head, turning to look at me. "Actually...I want to take you somewhere...if it's okay with you?"

"Sure," I said, albeit hesitantly, wondering where he could take me at this time of night.

The tension between us was thick as Puck drove, neither one of us making a move to start up conversation. It'd always been like that, ever since he'd become...mean. Before that, car drives were never silent - we always found something to talk about, no matter how random it was. Sometimes, I wished it was still like that.

I remember the first time I met him. He and his family had just moved to this town, and he was the sweetest guy I'd ever met - even sweeter than Trevor back then. But then, the town really got a taste of his family. Criminal activity skyrocketed, multiple gangs were formed...and the worst part, our town was the center of all their fights. Police couldn't do anything to stop it because most were either bribed by Puck's family...or killed.

"We're here," Puck's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

I looked up, and my breath caught at the scene before me. We were stopped in front of a large expanse of field, a hill that overlooked a water fall right beyond it. The grass surrounding the water fall was the greenest I'd ever seen it, and the water was just so...majestic, with the way it sparkled as it rushed down to meet the lake.

"Wow," I breathed, eyes widening as I allowed them to take in every detail about the place. When I finally mustered up the courage to look at Puck, he was already staring at me.