Daisy Duck (Platonic Scenario - "Dances with Daisies")

Mulai dari awal

The cobblestone curved towards the sky in the centre before descending into the earth at the opposite end, plunging any travellers into the shadowy wilderness. The path was illuminated by a lone lantern dangling from an iron pole on the side of civilization.

Following a moment of panting, you hopped onto the embankment and dipped your aching feet in the frigid stream. The cold liquid swallowed much of the pain, and Daisy shortly joined you. She slipped her heels off and placed them on a neighbouring stone, careful not to dampen the fringes of her dress.

You dipped a finger in the water and traced shapes on the surface, swirling the digit while peeking at the duck. "You can swim, right?"

She stared with wide, perplexed eyes before incredulity flooded her blanched countenance. "You wouldn't dare! I just made this dress a week ago!" She recoiled slightly and retracted her hand from the edge of the cobblestone barrier, sporting a comical scowl. At the sound of your boisterous laughter reverberating through the desolate gloaming, her objection shifted to wry amusement.

Your joy gradually simmered to curiosity, and you cocked your head to look askance at her. "A week? Then how come this is the first time I've seen you wear it?"

Daisy gawked as if she had admitted a horrible secret and turned away, drawing her knees closer to her chest. The slightest curling of her beak suggested a stifled joy as she folded her hands in her lap, but her tone was deliberate and unassuming. "Well, it was a special occasion." A faint redness lingered in her complexion until she brushed her fingers against her hair in an instinctual swipe and flashed a fond smile.

"Speaking of special occasions," she began, the twinge of uncertainty in her voice luring your attention away from the body of water below.

"The Glamour Ball is coming up. Have you given any thought as to who your plus-one will be?" There was a thinly veiled eagerness in her words that hinted at an underlying impatience. Her eyes and smile broadened with each silent second, nerves brimming with fragile hope. She dug her fingers into the crevices in the cobblestone and clasped bits of sand as if about to take flight.

The return of your gaze to the river sparked a momentary faltering of enthusiasm, but your ensuing admission nearly sent her plummeting into the rapids.

"My friend's never been to that sort of thing and wanted to give it a try, so I agreed to take them."

The death of Daisy's happiness and the birth of her inflamed envy shattered the serenity of nightfall in a torrent of fury and confusion.

"I thought I was your best friend," cried the duck, scrambling to her feet and clutching handfuls of hair in a desperate plea for solace. A dash of rage bled into her panic as she clenched her jaw and formed fists. Hands shuddering at her side, she took a furious, aimless step along the stone border before whirling around and barking, "Who is it?"

A bewildered and alarmed stare was the only answer she obtained, and her resentment of the unknown recipient swelled like ravenous flames surging through a forest.

Daisy gritted her teeth and swung her head with a seething groan, spinning on her heels to peer into the stream shrouding the earth underneath her feet.

"Of course, you're my best friend," came your hesitant confirmation, spoken more from a place of apprehension than one of affection. With a wary eye, you observed a cavity of relief emerge from the duck's ire.