Count Duckula (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons) (2015)

TW: Mentions of Hypnosis (?), Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - He's the most emotionally fragile and maladjusted Duckula.

Platonic:

Spending much of his life in an empty castle with only brainless thralls for company has degraded his capacity for rational thought. Duckula, in a desperate plea for attention, is a slave to the camera, and his friend is the first person who appreciates his efforts. It could be as simple as a passing compliment or as brief as a clap of the hands in response to a performance. The magnitude is irrelevant because Duckula is so starved for praise that any positive reinforcement evokes a disproportionately intense reaction.

Once he gets a taste for friendship, which in his mind, is finally having someone who confirms his importance, the Count dumps several years' worth of impatience onto his friend. Prolonged isolation and sleep deprivation contribute to a lack of boundaries, and the idea of them moving into the castle with him becomes the topic of many conversations.

The natural development of trust and comfort is rushed as Duckula loses all tact in his desperation to secure their companionship. This urgency stems from the worry that allowing time to reconsider the dynamic will result in his friend changing their mind and abandoning him. The notion that his overzealous behaviour may be the cause of any such tension does not occur.

Romantic:

Despite having an inflated sense of self, Duckula is chronically dissatisfied with his life and finds new reasons to covet more each day. He fails to recognize the impossibility of his dream and sees no difference between hypnotism and genuine affection. His partner is someone who he admires and wishes would respect him, but this desire is often achieved to the detriment of others.

Just as the exhausting schedule of his television show has convinced him that perpetual action is necessary to be relevant, his unwavering devotion to pursuing fame no matter how illicit or self-destructive it becomes has skewered his impulse control. Violent bursts of envy guide his interactions with anyone who befriends his partner.

Duckula flaunts his enthusiasm for music and monologizes about his skills, detailing every trait and experience that he believes is commendable. He focuses his insatiable appetite for validation on his partner and relents only when they applaud his perceived greatness. This contentment is short-lived, however, and he forever returns with the need for additional praise.