Gene the Genie (Platonic Scenario - "Your Wildest Dreams")

Warnings: Loss of Contact with Reality, Baneful Magick (?), Toxic Mindsets.

Word Count: 3220

Bag of food in hand, you turned and reached out to open the window when a compact object collided with your forehead. A dull pain flared as everything from your face to your waist was blanketed with a cold liquid.

Your eyes had instinctively snapped shut, but the clattering of a plastic cup spurred you to peer downwards and spot a soft drink dribbling onto the floor at your feet. The remnants of the beverage pooled around you and seeped into cracks in the tiles, while the majority enveloped your uniform in an unwelcome embrace.

"I asked for a diet! Not regular!

The screeching of a dissatisfied customer caused you to grit your teeth into a strained smile and reply, "We don't offer that anymore. It was a one-time promotion."

Throughout the week, people had cruised by, requesting a diet drink and reacting with outrage upon being informed that the special had ended nearly a month ago. You had repeated the phrase to the point where it became second nature, but the consistency did little to quell the bubbling indignation stewing in your gut.

Feeling as if anchors were threatening to wrench it into a scowl, you leaned forward and extended the sack of grub towards the vehicle.

The customer snatched it from your grasp and flashed a grimace, muttering in a snide tone, "Unbelievable. Not only did waiting in your line make me late for work, but I also didn't even get the right order."

Their departure brought a smile to your face, but it soon dissipated when the sound of approaching footsteps reverberated from behind. You squinted and released a quiet sigh, peeking over your shoulder to come face-to-face with your manager.

"What was that about?" They regarded you with suspicion, cocking an eyebrow and placing their hands on their hips.

"They wanted something we don't have, so I gave them something we do." You whirled around and had begun to cross your arms when the frigid beverage reminded you of its presence.

Your boss watched with exasperation as you winced and withdrew your limbs in disgust, confessing, "I just got off the phone with some seriously upset people, all saying that you mixed up their orders?" They thrust a hand to their face and squeezed their forehead. "This is the sixth complaint against you this week, not to mention last week."

Your stomach growled, and you realized that you could not remember the last time you had a decent meal.

"Look, you know I don't like doing this."

You stuffed a hand in your pocket and grasped space.

"But either you get your act together-"

Your eyes resembled oceanic trenches.

"-or you're fired."

Their words were difficult to process, your sleep-deprived mind enabling you to comprehend every third or fourth word. Even so, the look of frustration plastered on their face was unmistakable.

"Hey!"

You grunted as your manager snapped their fingers inches from your face, fixing you with an expectant frown.