Saul Goodman/Jimmy McGill (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

Warnings: Gross Miscarriage of Justice, Legal Misrepresentation, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Breaking Bad era, here we go.

Platonic:

Getting served is no cause for concern when Saul Goodman is here, or so he says. Hours after the summons arrives in the mail, Saul hears about the upcoming trial either through his job at the public defender's office or Kim at Hamlin, Hamlin & McGill.

Prepare for the phone to ring as Saul valiantly offers his legal services at a marked discount. Even if the workload and paperwork are too much for him to comfortably handle on his own, he refuses to share the case with any other law firm. Kim is inclined to help him before the two of them are estranged, and she voices her worries about Saul staying awake all night to rehearse his arguments and counter-arguments.

If jail time is involved, Saul tries his best to get the case thrown out on the slightest technicality. He badgers the prosecution outside of the courtroom so that, in court when tempers are still hot, he can argue a kangaroo court or get the prosecutor charged with contempt of court.

If he finds himself representing the opposing side, Saul has some hesitation in devoting himself to the case. His interest in another victory on his rap sheet ultimately convinces him to fight the case as he would any other. After the court proceedings, he makes a point of saying that it is not personal and hopes that it will not be held against him later in the relationship.

The threat of being disbarred prevents Saul from doing anything violent, but it does not stop his flamboyant tendencies in the courtroom. He delivers charismatic speeches in favour of the defendant as often as possible, tests the line between conman and lawyer, and does anything he can to sew seeds of doubt in the prosecution and their narrative.

Saul believes that proving himself to be a loyal companion is worth the risk, not to mention the fact that he expects lots of gratitude and favours for doing so.

Saul is less concerned with innocence versus guilt once he is accepted as the recurring attorney. He cares more about running scams to win the case or get it dismissed, such as digging up dirt on opposing witnesses to ruin the integrity of their testimony in the cross-examination.

Romantic:

Another method of his is to go after the prosecution's evidence and find any reason why it should be considered inadmissible. A common strategy is for Saul to argue that the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution or any other amendment has been violated, as his entire defence is done with the intent of getting the charges dropped.

In the event of an arrest, Saul bullies the police officers who he finds entering the interrogation room before he does. He gives strict instructions to not speak unless he is in the room and has approved the exact words. After the initial interrogation, Saul fights to whittle down the charges or get the case dismissed entirely by schmoozing or bargaining with a district attorney.

From the back of Day Spa and Nail, Saul waits in his office for the call that says he landed the case. There are few limits to what he will do to win this case. The lengths to which he will go include starting a fake business to prove good character and changing the address on legal papers to make it look like the prosecution has accused the wrong person.

Having a clean record or at least no immediate charges means that Saul will ingratiate himself with friends and family. For example, a cousin with a drug problem or minor legal trouble is an easy target for Saul to represent and get into the good graces of the same social circle.

Saul wants to be seen as a good lawyer, but his understanding of what he wants from interpersonal relationships is more skewed. The first time he mentions the idea of a dinner date or an outing together is when he allows himself to be the real Jimmy, not the confident and meticulous lawyer.

Although Slippin' Jimmy is a persona that Jimmy wishes to leave behind, he still wants to be seen as fun and engaging. He accomplishes this by offering drinks and late-night TV marathons at whichever house or apartment he happens to be living.

However, Jimmy is prone to lying about his whereabouts the next day and arranging another meetup under false pretences. He claims that he was merely thinking about how much he enjoyed the previous meeting when, in reality, it is a poorly concealed plea to not be alone for the night again.