Gyro Gearloose & Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera (Platonic Scenario - Enemy of Mine)

Start from the beginning

Fenton nearly snapped the mop in two as his system flooded with humiliation and alarm. He spun around and began scrubbing the closest spill, frantically fanning himself in a desperate attempt to make the rosy colour in his cheeks dissipate. The fervour in his movements and palpitating heart threatened to expose his previous train of thought, but the chicken was in a world of his own when he marched past the superhero with clenched fists. Fenton snuck a glance at him and gradually came to a stop as he yanked an office chair away from the desk and plopped himself in it.

The scientist planted his elbows on the metallic surface and pressed his hands against the sides of his head, grumbling haphazard threats and grievances to invisible pests. His gaze eventually drifted upwards to rest on a sight that made him fly into a rage. The superhero flinched when Gyro leapt to his feet and clutched the monitor exhibiting Scrooge's meeting with the board of directors.

The aeat was propelled backwards as he screamed, "I would never put them in any danger!" The glare from the screen illuminated the dark circles under his twitching eyes, which had long been overcome with indignation and mania. His plumage was dishevelled and resembled a rat nest, and Fenton harboured a sneaking suspicion that his glasses were crooked. "It was a malfunction! Something I never could've accounted for!"

The superhero hugged the mop to his chest and crinkled his eyes in sympathy, watching with a mix of apprehension and understanding while the chicken shook the camera back and forth as if it were the source of all his suffering.
He finally shoved the monitor back to its original spot and staggered a few steps rearward to collapse into the chair once again. "Transfer," he spat, grasping fistfuls of his hair and fidgeting like a jaunty child. "I'd never let them get hurt." His arms lowered to his lap, a dejected sigh shortly following. "Well, not intentionally."

Fenton scanned the chemical mess dripping from every crevice. Memories of cries for everyone to flee filling the air as the sound of vials shattering rang out like bullets in the night and coated the walls with a brilliant rainbow rendered his lunch in danger of resurfacing. With an unsteady gulp, he attempted to pacify his squirming stomach and redirected his gaze at Gyro's miserable figure.

"I don't like it either, Dr. Gearloose."

The jerk in the scientist's otherwise slouched posture suggested that he had not been aware of his audience. The creaking of the seat's hinges echoed in the lab as he swivelled around and eyed his intern with distaste.

"But I don't blame you. Performance issues with a central processor of that magnitude were unavoidable. Plus, it was just a prototype. It wasn't your fault," affirmed Fenton, shooting him a weak smile and slowly resuming his custodial work.

The chicken's scowl softened a smidgen before a monitor caught his eye and warped it into one of unadulterated bitterness.

He slumped deeper into the chair and muttered, "That makes two of us. Unfortunately, the board couldn't find it in themselves to be as forgiving." His glare zeroed in on the buzzard positioned in the centre seat at the outer edges of the conference table opposite to Scrooge. "Science is risk, ignoramus."
Mumbling reached his ears, and Gyro peered at the superhero with a combination of annoyance and puzzlement.

Fenton maneuvered the mop around a pool of luminous chemicals with uncertainty but froze upon peeking to the side and realizing he was being watched.

The scientist cocked an eyebrow, which prompted him to smile anxiously and sputter, "Oh, I was just thinking about how they used to help me out with this sort of thing." He chuckled and rubbed the nape of his neck, a melancholic fondness taking shape on his youthful features. "The days sure went by faster when they were here."

The chicken glowered at the reminder and had begun to whirl around to face the security cameras when he added, "Too bad we can't erase everyone's memory, huh?"