Mark Beaks (Romantic Scenario - "Headliner")

Start from the beginning

The nagging feeling of being watched prompted you to peek over your shoulder, and you spotted a security guard tracking your movements with a suspicious eye.

They were only a few steps away.

You briefly considered informing them of the imminent threat, but the distrust in their gaze left a foul taste in your mouth. All contemplation was thrown out the window when you heard multiple cables split and rip all at once, followed by the grating screech of the lighting rig detaching from the ceiling and barrelling to the stage below.

The grey parrot paused in his vain photography and slowly looked up, smile faltering and thumb hovering over a large, red button on his phone screen.
The overhead apparatus descended from the ceiling like a hawk, aiming directly for his lanky figure.

The nearest security guard made a mad dash to seize your leg as you scrambled onto the stage, thinking you were an obsessive fan trying to attack him. You were sent careening forward when they swiped your limb out from under you, but you managed to grab a fistful of the parrot's fringe vest and yank him towards you before being jerked backwards.

Gasps erupted in the crowd when you collided with the ground and slammed your back into the dirt, people quickly leaping out of dodge and forming a small clearing around you.

Already disoriented from your pull, the parrot jumped and squealed when the lighting rig crashed into the floor mere inches from him.

Sparks flew from the detritus as the exposed fibres crackled and popped, the birth of fire looming dangerously close to becoming a reality.

Fearful cries reverberated through the crowd when the parrot teetered on the edge of the stage before falling off entirely and landing on top of you, his purple sunglasses banging painfully against your face and bouncing off his head.

As concerned and envious murmurings surrounded you from all sides, the rambunctious music gradually quieted until it ceased completely. Roars of confusion and disapproval echoed from the areas of the throng too distant to be aware of the incident. Many began to encircle the two of you, but multiple security guards rushed to the situation's aid and ordered everyone to stand back.

As they formed a makeshift wall, the guard who had caused your current predicament began to apologize profusely to the grey parrot, who was merely staring at you with wide, yellow eyes.

A smile of wonder and astonishment slowly spread across his face, and he opened his mouth to thank you before suddenly being shoved aside.

You calmly rose to your feet and brushed some muck off your clothes, sparing a glance at your previous spot only to find the parrot sitting there and looking up at you like a child basking in the presence of their hero. "Watch where you take your pictures, bird."

His starry-eyed expression suddenly shifted to shock.

Smile now strained and confused, he raised a finger to correct you, but you spun around and strode in the opposite direction. The parrot hastily called out for you to wait, and you glanced over your shoulder to see him rummaging through his pockets.

A look of terror crossed his face, and he began to scramble across the ground and swipe the grass and dirt with desperation.

You watched him uncertainly for a moment before attempting to reenter the crowd and hit the road.

"Wait, my phone! Did anyone save my phone?!" The parrot scurried to his feet and leapt onto the stage, frantically scouring the debris for the electronic device. Cries of joy soon turned into requests for his saviour to come back as he hopped down and scampered after you.