NINE

Sobs and sighs were all that could be heard in the midst of the night. Ava had ran out of the Great Hall after her outburst on Rita Skeeter and fled to the Black Lake. Ava had taken off her shoes and ran through the grass to the Lake not too far from her. She heard rustling behind her but thought nothing of it, even though she should've. Tears were streaming down her face, and her chest heaving up and down from running so much. 

Ava yelped when a person pulled her around to face them. 

"Ava, it's me! You're okay, love." Peter soothed her as she fell to the ground in his arms, her sobs beginning to become harder on her lungs. 

They both sat there as he ran his hands through her hair that had fallen out of place while she was running. The clips were still intact but he pulled them out effortlessly. Her cry's softened as she laid, cradled in his arms, feeling safe. 

Ava felt calmer now that she was in his arms as he shushed her, kissing her forehead and stroking her back softly. He hummed a tune that soothed her ears. The symphony coming from his throat could have made her fall asleep right then and there, but a voice came from the direction of the castle. 

"Ava!?" The voice yelled but Ava recognized it as Snape quickly. 

Ave looked at Peter and he brought her to her feet, looking in his direction the whole time. 

"Severus." Ava breathed. 

"Are you okay? I saw what happened in the hall." Severus gave Ava a sympathetic smile, but he looked at Peter and then back at Ava. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, Sev. Thanks for checking on me, really." Ava nodded, pursing her lips, completely aware of the awkward tension between her date and friend. 

"Uh, I was wondering if I could walk you back. I needed to talk to you anyway, is that oka-" Severus offered but Peter cut in, jealousy overtaking him. 

"Actually," Snape directed his attention to Peter, who was a little taller than him, not by very much though. "I was going to walk her back." Peter clenched his jaw and took a hold of Ava's hand. 

"I didn't hear her say, Pettigrew." Severus said through gritted teeth, trying to hide the annoyance in his voice, but failing miserably. 

"It's fine Sev, I'll let him walk me." Ava nodded, trying to ease the tension between the two boys. 

Severus only nodded and sent a smile toward her, clearly fake, as he started to walk away. "Yeah, go home with the orphan, see where that gets you." Snape mumbled, annoyance in his tone of voice. 

Peter's eyes widened and he clenched his jaw before breaking out of Ava's grasp and shoving Snape to the ground for his absurd comment.

"Guys! Stop!" Ava yelled but failed to convince as Snape rounded and threw a punch, hitting Peter on his cheekbone. 

Peter pushed Severus to the ground, his legs locking his in place on the ground as he repeatedly let his anger get the best of him, punching Snape in his cheek over and over. 

"STOP!" Ava tried yelling. She feared she might cry but found no tears left in her eyes. 

A couple of students had come out at the commotion and quickly rushed to the scene to watch it all go down. Snape had hit Peter a couple of times but not enough for him to knock him off. 

"Woah! Hey! Hey! Hey!" James came running toward Peter, pulling Peter of of Snape by his underarms, locking them in place. 

A couple of Slytherins had come and picked up Snape by the shoulders, leading him away from the scene, afraid he might pounce again at the Gryffindor boy. Lily had run down to Ava, holding her hands as they watched everything. 

Sirius grabbed Peter by the face, "Hey! You listen right now, I get that whatever he said made you angry, mate! But you got a scared girl over there. She needs you to calm the fuck down right now! You hear me, Peter!?" Sirius raised his eyebrows and Peter's face softened at his words. 

Peter nodded and James let go of his arms and Sirius let go of his face.

"Go on! Don't you lot have dancing to do!?" Sirius exclaimed, waving off the crowd of teenagers. 

 James turned around and gestured his head from Ava to Peter, implying they should talk. James held out his hand and Lily grasped it and they walked away. Sirius had nodded his head and walked away with Remus who was still shocked as his usually shy friend's outburst. 

"Ava..." Peter started as he turned around but was met with a burning sensation at his cheek. She had slapped him. 

"I understand that what he said was horrible, but that gave you no right to beat the living shit out of him, Peter!" Ava yelled, she was angry and sad. But she was also confused. 

"I was jealous! He was wanting to take you back and that comment got the best of me, Ava!" Peter yelled back, causing Ava to stumble back a little. 

"You don't get to be jealous, Peter." Ava said, eyes wide and her mouth agape.

"What?" Peter asked, completely confused. 

"I'm not your girlfriend! I'm not your wife! I'm not anything to you, Peter!" Ava yelled. Peter took in a sharp breath at her words. 

"I'm apparently just a girl you've kissed a couple times and went to the Yule Ball with! You can't expect me to look past what just happened, Peter, I-" Ava threw her hands up in the air put were pinned to her waist as a pair of lips crashed on hers. 

Ava was surprised at what he was doing, but involuntarily kissed back, melting her hands into his hair. His hands grabbed at her waist roughly as he pulled her against him. Ava moaned at the sudden movement and gasped, giving an opening for Peter to thrust his tongue into her mouth. Though, Ava did the same thing. 

They both pulled away from the kiss, panting. Ava's hands were still locked in his hair and his hands were still secured around her waist, not wanted to let go. Like he feared that if he let go, she would disappear, like dust in the wind. 

"I want you to be something more to me, Ava. I really do." Peter had a smile tugging the corners of his lips, a little nervous for her answer. 

"I want that, too, Peter. I want that too." Ava smiled, leaning in for another kiss, in which Peter gave in, melting his lips to hers once more. 

"You are mine, Ava White." Peter chuckled against her lips picking her up and twirling her in the air. Her laughter filled her air as he set her back down, her head leaned back, giving him access to her neck. 

Ava gasped when she felt his lips on her neck, moaning at the sensation. Peter sucked on her neck, most likely leaving hickeys and love bites all over. 

"Peter, stop it." Ava snickered at his childish actions. 

Peter smiled as he stopped kissing her neck and rested his head at her collarbone. Peter took in a deep breath as he held her hand in one of his, the other snaking it's way around her waist, effortlessly. 

"I like this." Ava sighed as they danced to the faint music coming from the Great Hall, the moonlight hitting their bodies, making them seem like ghosts in the night. 

Peter hummed in response as they continued dancing, smiling like lovestruck teenagers. Which is what they were.