o3

we entered the classroom and the group lead me to the back as we sat down.

mattia sat next to alejandro but was soon interrupted by kairi.

"dude that's where i sit!" he groaned. taylor laughed as she sat next to vic.

"i think you should sit with her." mattia suggested and pointed at me, causing kairi's frown to turn upside down.

"ain't no complaints." kairi sat down and i happily took the seat next to him.

"get your homework from last week out. please may i see mr. polibio and a miss. perez at my desk." the small teacher requested, causing me to get out of my seat trailing behind mattia. i kick his foot so he trips up slightly and laughs, he flips me off whilst i smile at him innocently.

"welcome to the class guys, i'm mrs. reid! elle-marie perez, oh we have a gym teacher here called mr. perez, what a coincidence!" she smiles enthusiastically.

"actually, that's my uncle." i say and mattia rolls his eyes.

"ah okay. anyway, since you two are joining the class a bit late i'll be working closely with you so you can catch up." mrs reid explains. "here's the homework that we'll be going through so just attempt it so i know how much knowledge you have on the spanish language." she hands us the pieces of paper. "alejandro, move forward to join kairi. mattia and elle-marie will be sitting at the back." she orders and then shoos us.

"why are you just starting this class?" i ask mattia.

"passed italian early." he shrugs as we take our seats.

"oh. how do you know italian that well?" i ask again.

"listen, don't think we're going to be friends now. can you fuck off?" he chuckles and starts the work.

i mimic his actions except i start the work much faster as well as almost finishing it.

"woah." mattia stares at me.

"i can speak spanish dumbass." i roll my eyes.

"can you help me?" he asks.

"can you fuck off?" i mock.

"stop trying to be me." he scoffs.

"i'd rather kill myself." i smile.

"you're a bitch." mattia mutters.

"you're a dick." i mumble.

"you're twins." alejandro turns around to face us.

"you're dumb." i say. however, mattia says it at the same time as me.

we immediately turn to each other and burst out in laughter but it soon dies down as mrs reid eyes us.

-

the spanish lesson drags as the teacher goes on about everything i already know and the boy besides me constantly complains about knowing non of it.

eventually the bell rings and we re-join as a group.

"i'm dropping out." mattia says.

"me too." i add.

"why?" kairi asks as we make our way down the hallway.

"it was too easy." i shrug, knowing i'm better off spending my time learning something else rather than a language i already know since my father is spanish.

"it was so damn hard, mrs reid didn't 'support' me at all." mattia complains.

"elle can just tutor you." vic suggests and kisses mattia's cheek as she and kairi separate from us for their next lesson.

"that would end in a physical fight." ale laughs. "they were arguing all lesson." he explains to taylor.

"her stomach makes weird noises." mattia complains and i push him as he chuckles. we seemed to move past the hostility in that lesson but we're definitely not going to be besties anytime soon.

"he cries when he doesn't immediately know an answer. and it's only cause i didn't eat lunch." i explain whilst alejandro departs from us to go to his next class.

"why not?" taylor asks.

"i didn't like what they were serving here and i don't drive, i have a free period now so i can go get some food." i say and taylor nods.

"me too, let's go." mattia replies.

"i'd come but i don't have a free. bye guys." taylor waves as she enters her classroom.

"no." i laugh in response.

"come on elle-marie, plus i drive." he drags out my name.

"fine, but don't call me that." i say.

"cool, i'll call you...marie." he grins as we exit the school building.

trigger warning - eating disorders

"that's even worse than elle-marie and i'm pretty sure you ate at lunch." i point out whilst we walk through the parking lot.

"what about it, literally what about it?" mattia asks, throwing up his car keys and catching them repeatedly.

"you're coming for a whole other meal right now." i state.

"stop fat shaming me. i literally only agreed to come because i thought you could be struggling with an eating disorder." he shrugs as we reach his car.

"what the fuck?" i ask, shocked at his bluntness but also kindness. i climb in and clip my seatbelt.

"don't be mad, sorry if you do- if i triggered you. i don't know, my friend used to have one so-" he rambles and starts driving.

"mattia don't worry, it's fine." i place my hand on his arm so he relaxes, but his muscles seemed to tense at my touch. "i don't have one." i smile and his eyes linger at the point of contact before he nods and puts on music.

"soooo, if i develop anorexia you'll be nice to me?" i ask, removing my hand.

"fuck off, i am nice already." he laughs and i laugh.

trigger over!

"you've not even asked what i'd like." i chuckle.

"cause i don't care, we're getting wendy's." he states.

i nod and grab his phone. "siri, play frank ocean." mattia snatches his phone back.

"you like frank ocean?" he asks as the music plays.

"what are you tryna fuck me or something?" i reference.

"shut up tiktok girl, you're so annoying." he pushes my head as we pull into the drive through and i tell him my order whilst sorting out my, now ruffled, hair.

"my mouths watering i've not had wendy's in so long." i admit.

"why?" he hands over our money.

"ethan doesn't like it." i sigh, dramatically.

"ahh, your boyfriend?" mattia asks.

"my little brother." i hit his arm.

"oh cool, i have a younger brother called gianluca." he says as he accepts our food and passes the bag to me.

"oh cool, i didn't ask." i shove fries in my mouth.

"i hate you. give me my damn burger."