chapter 26: a goodbye

8:54 AM, Monday, March 8th, 2022

It was Monday again. Hyunjin had made a clear streak of not coming to school once last week, and you had made yourself a promise. If that jerk is not in the school building by the end of the day, I'm going to get serious, you walked down the school courtyard. You had made things better with Beomgyu by going on a date with him on Friday, but it was still a bit rocky. This was all your fault, of course, you couldn't get your mind off of Hyunjin and so these were the consequences. But you knew that if you found Hyunjin, your mind would be at peace again. So in an illogically logical way, you needed to focus on one boy to make your relationship better with a different one. You approached the school building entrance, mental fingers crossed to see his stupid face wandering the halls. Please don't make me get extra...

______

"Do you think it was because of my shoe attack?" Choerry said.
"No, he's not that sensitive," Yeeun said. The three of you stood in the school courtyard again, this time students were exiting the school. Hwang Hyunjin didn't show up to school. Dang it, why??? Why?!!!! you whined in your thoughts.
"I'm sure he'll be back very soon," you said in a mysterious way.
"Huh?" the two girls said in a puzzled tone.
"I'm gonna get going, be safe guys!" you began walking the other way, waving your hand around. Once you finally turned your head in the direction you were headed, you recognized Choi Beomgyu walking towards you. You immediately sped up your pace.
"Did you have a good day?" he approached you.
"Eh, what about you?" you smiled at him.
"Eh," he replied. The two of you shared a laugh for a brief second before he spoke again.
"Taking the bus again today?" he asked you.
"Yep, you walking home?" you said.
"Sure am," he said. There was an awkward pause. To cancel out the awkwardness, you opened up your arms.
"What're you doing?" he asked.
"Hug me!" you demanded. He took your orders and embraced you.
"Right here? You realize we're still in the student courtyard right?" Beomgyu said.
"I do," you responded.
"Hehe," you could tell Beomgyu was really happy about this.
"I can't be late for the bus, but let's video call tonight, okay?" you said.
"Yes ma'am," he stepped back and saluted to you.
"Weirdo," you laughed.

______

Am I really doing this? you stared at your phone, your finger hovering over the unblock button for Hyunjin's number. I'm already regretting this, you tapped the button. Should I call or text him? you stood at the bus stop.
"Y/N!" you heard a familiar voice. You turned your head to see Choi Yerim running down the sidewalk.
"Hurry!!" you could see the bus approaching behind her. She finally caught up to you, wrapping her arms around you. That was when she saw your phone screen. In an instant, she snatched your phone and examined it.
"Yah, Y/N! What is this??" she questioned you.
"Woah, woah, don't get the wrong idea, it's just he's been missing and I'm kind of worried." you decided to be honest. She gave you a look.
"Okay," Choerry rolled her eyes jokingly.
"Should I text him or call him?" the bus doors opened.
"Try texting him first," you followed Choerry onto the bus.
"Alright," you sat down in a seat, Choerry right beside you.

y/n: hwang hyunjin

"I did it," you said. Choerry focused her eyes on your phone.

y/n: hwang hyunjin
Read 4:02 PM

"He left you on read!" Choerry gasped. You rolled your eyes.
"In all honesty, you should just leave it, because he's acting like a child!" she folded her arms.
"Hyunjin is usually childish..." you said.
"Really? He just seemed like the cool type," Choerry said.
"That's what he wants you to think." you shut off your phone.

You watched as Choerry stepped off the bus. Once she was out of sight, you immediately opened your phone back up. Within seconds you were ringing his phone. Pick up...pick up...please, you held the phone to your ear. The ringing stopped, he answered.
"Where are you?" you asked bluntly.
"Why?" you finally heard his voice.
"Tell me, right now," you demanded.
"Skatepark," he answered.
"The one Jeno goes to?" you asked.
"Yep," he sighed.
"Okay." you hung up.