chapter 20: i love you [16+]

12:17 PM, Tuesday, February 11th, 2021

[FLASHBACK]

"So...how has your day been?" Jiwoo asked you. The two of you sat at an empty table in the lunch room. The cafeteria was filled with bustling students, irrelevant conversations being held at each table. Even the one you were in right now.
"It's been fine," you sighed shoving a piece of dried seaweed in your mouth.
"Hey, Lee Joowon!" Jiwoo flagged down a blonde girl who was standing at the entrance of the room.

Once the girl saw Jiwoo she rushed over

"This is the last time I'm gonna respond to that!" she joined you and Jiwoo at the table.
"What? Lee Joowon~" you teased.
"You guys are the most disrespectful friends ever, I said it's JooE!" she fussed.
"Last time I check I don't know of a JooE, the person I know is Joowon." Jiwoo grinned.
"Ugh, whatever, you guys have any snacks?" she licked her lips.
"Seaweed?" you held up a piece.
"Don't mind if I do," she took the seaweed.
"Oh! Did you guys hear about Hwang Hyunjin and Wang Yiren?" Joowon put the seaweed in her mouth.
"What about him?" your ears prickled at the mention of Hyunjin.
"Lee Chaeryeong said that she saw him and Yiren alone by the gym building," she said.
"Really?" Jiwoo raised her eyebrows.
"That's not it though, she said that he was kneeling down for her, like he was tying her shoe or something," Joowon snatched another seaweed piece.
"Wow," your face was concentrated.
"Who's Wang Yiren?" you asked.
"You don't know? She's the short Chinese girl, long brown hair, pretty face, cat eyes...?" Joowon could tell her words weren't getting through to you.
"Doesn't ring a bell?" Jiwoo chuckled.
"Well he was just tying her shoe right? That doesn't mean anything, does it?" you asked.
"Have you ever even watched a romance drama in your life Y/N? That type of scene is cute enough to be put in slow-motion," Joowon smiled.
"Maybe even replayed," Jiwoo added.
"Okay shoe tying is definitely not slow-mo replay material," you pointed your spoon at them.
"There are plenty of things that don't seem romantic until it actually happens," Joowon said.
"Like what?"
"Like putting a bracelet or a necklace on someone," Jiwoo said.
"Lending someone your hoodie or your jacket," Joowon added.
"Purposely only sharing snacks only with a certain person,"
"Applying lip balm for them,"
"That moment of closeness when taking a selfie together," Jiwoo smiled.
"Removing food or a hair from someone's face,"
"Sharing an umbrella,"
"And of course tying someone's shoe for them!" Joowon rubbed up against Jiwoo.
"Okay you can stop now," you sighed.
"What if they become a couple?" Jiwoo and Joowon were completely lost in romance land.
"But didn't you go on a date with Hwang Hyunjin?" Jiwoo turned to you.
"What?" you gulped.
"No way!" Joowon's eyes widened.
"Oh that? I was just playing with you," you brushed it off.
"How did you know who he was then?" she leaned closer to you.
"I know some popular people," you said.
"Who?" Joowon looked at you, then at Jiwoo, then back at you.
"W-well I know you guys,"  you pointed at them.
"Someone that isn't us! And plus we aren't popular in the Hyunjin and Yiren way," Jiwoo told you.
"What do you mean?" you were puzzled.
"Well it is true that most everyone knows us, especially on social media, but we're not in a circle." Joowon said. You still looked lost.
"I don't know if you've payed attention to this, but people like Hyunjin are in tightly knit friend groups consisting of other populars," Joowon explained.
"Yeah and like they have small friendships outside the group but nothing special," Jiwoo added. The words nothing special pierced through your heart.
"Which is another reason we aren't on his level like that, people like us will just be friends with whoever, follower counts, looks, and style don't matter for our friendships." Joowon said.
"Huh, so is Wang Yiren one of those people?" you asked them.
"Oh yeah, but don't take it the wrong way, though some of them do, a lot of them are super nice and don't think of themselves as better than the rest of us." Jiwoo said.
"It's like they're inssa, we're inssa-ish, and you're assa." Jiwoo picked at her nails. An inssa meant a popular person, an insider; and an assa was an outsider, like the quiet kid in class.
"You're not wrong," you chuckled, this was a truth that didn't hurt. You were contempt with being an "assa", you had enough good friends already, and you never got into drama.
"The more you know," Joowon picked up your hands playfully.
"Speaking of Chaeryeong, where is she today?" you switched the topic. As the two girls continued chatting about the discussion you started, ironically, you tuned them out. Tying someone's shoe is romantic isn't it? I mean if I had a girlfriend I wouldn't tie another girl's shoe for her unless I knew it was okay. Heck, maybe I should just go out and get a girlfriend instead. You know what, I'll just talk to him about it on the bus, you sighed.