chapter 36: slam dunk

4:02 PM, Saturday, April 10th, 2022

You and Beomgyu's friends sat together on the left side of the court. The game had started. You didn't know much about basketball, so you couldn't really tell what was going on. Boys in different jerseys were moving around the court with a ball. That's all you could comment on.

"Man we better not get caught by Sunwoo up here," Taehyun said to Yeonjun.
"Relax, we'll be fine," Yeonjun smirked.
"Yeah, you keep saying that until both of our asses get beat for cheering the other team," Taehyun rolled his eyes. You were silently observing a conversation between two of Beomgyu's friends.
"Sunwoo does hit pretty hard," Yeonjun sighed.
"Talk about too passionate for basketball," Taehyun said.
"Yeah," Yeonjun agreed.
"Uh, you can't talk, soccer boy," Taehyun flicked his forehead.
"Ow-!" Yeonjun reacted. They're a funny duo, you chuckled. Beomgyu has nice friends, you thought.

You felt someone tap on your shoulder. You turned around to see a person staring down at you. They had the face of the sun and the hair of a grape lollipop.
"Choi Yerim!!" you jumped up.
"Hey there gorgeous," she smiled, wrapping you in a hug. From behind her you could see Jeno and Yeeun holding hands. You winked at Yeeun before letting go of Choerry.
"Sit down, sit down," you told them.
"Hey Choerry," Soobin waved awkwardly to her.
"Choi Soobin!" she pointed at him. You couldn't help but smile as you sat in between them. Choerry turned to see the other boys who were sitting above you. She gasped.
"Wait, do I know you guys?" she pointed to Yeonjun and Taehyun. The three of them stared at each other.
"Do you?" Yeonjun was puzzled. Choerry's eyes widened.
"You're the ones that come to my softball games sometimes!" she said. They still seemed lost.
"I'm on the team with Son Hyejoo and Park Chaewon, you all go to the same academy I think?" she smiled. They gasped.
"No way! He's actually in the same club as them," Yeonjun put his arm around Taehyun.
"Yeah," Taehyun peeled Yeonjun's hands off of him like he was diseased.
"I don't remember someone on her team with purple hair," Yeonjun said.
"But then again, I haven't been to a game in a while," Yeonjun did all the talking.
"Oh, I was the one with the pigtails," Choerry grabbed pieces of her hair and made two pigtails with her hands. You turned to Soobin.
"They're in a different world," you said to him. He was just staring at Choerry.
"You too I guess," you sighed.

______

"Throw it ugly!" Soobin yelled as he watched Beomgyu dribble on the court.
"Soobin, I don't know much about basketball, but I'm pretty sure you don't throw anything in this game," you whispered to Soobin.
"Ah, okay," he nodded.
"Kick it!" he yelled. Never mind, this himbo is hopeless, you thought. You then watched as someone forcefully stole the ball from Beomgyu. Though it was far, you could see a slight wave of annoyance fall over Beomgyu's face as he stopped for a moment.
"Oh shit, Sunwoo has the ball!" Taehyun pointed to player who just stole the ball from Beomgyu.
"Geez," Yeonjun watched with a look of unease.
"Who's Sunwoo?" you asked. The boy they were watching had just scored.
"That's Kim Sunwoo, he's a senior like us at the academy, and he's totally scary," Taehyun turned to you.
"He's not like a full-on bully, but he'll push you if you're in his way, or yell at you if you need to be yelled at," Taehyun sighed.
"He's pretty funny, he's just very competitive, and bit self-centered," Yeonjun raised his eyebrows.
"Sheesh," you turned your focus back to the court.

"Is it just me...or is there some heavy tension between those two?" Choerry pointed to Beomgyu and Sunwoo who were juking each other out left and right.
"Yeah, there is definitely something going on down there," Huening Kai finally spoke.
"Poor YangYang, he's right in the middle of it too," Choerry chuckled. You spotted the orange haired boy circling them.
"I honestly forgot he was on the team," you said.
"Y/N," Choerry slapped your hand and tried to hold in her laughter.
"My bad," you laughed.
"Well they're talking about something," Soobin said.
"Oh," you totally forgot you were in the middle of another conversation. You turned to watch them again. Soobin was right, you could watch the two boys lips move as they moved around. I wonder what they're talking about, you bit your lip.