Ch. 14: Fine on wine

Începe de la început

"It only takes a few seconds and we'll be inside and safe. Okay?"

"Pff... It's not like they're dangerous just because they want a picture of you," I said and tried to play it off and act cool. I didn't succeed much, though.

"You're right. But I think we've all seen that they can cause pretty dangerous situations anyway."

I blushed and stared at my lap. Why couldn't my brain work like everyone else's? This was exactly why my mom was babying me, and why I was scared to be on my own. A terrible, paralyzing and downward going spiral, I know, but very hard to get out of.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed, babe. It is how it is," Michael said as if he knew what I was thinking. My eyes went to Gabby, who climbed out first, and I could see in the corner of my eyes that Michael was giving me one of his loving, award winning smiles. Then he squeezed my hand.

"And it makes me want to take care of you in more ways than one."

My eyes grew wide at his words, but he turned so quickly that I didn't get to respond. I still saw his smile turn into a devious smirk, though. Great. Now I was twice as nervous. Question was; was I more nervous about the few seconds with strangers around, or him?

<><><>

Michael's suite was nothing less than astounding. It was even bigger than ours back at the other hotel, and had a better view of the city. The walls were painted a really light grey, which was completed by furniture in the same nuances. It might have looked boring if it wasn't for the bright blue, almost turquoise, theme that spiced it all up. Blue pillows, lamps and throws over the back of the couches. There were even splashes of blue on the pictures on the walls. Everything was matched to perfection and very suitable for a man of Michael's caliber.

"Are you hungry?" he asked and clasped his hands together a little awkwardly.

"Like a werewolf," Gabby snickered. "Get it? Thriller? The werewolf..."

I stopped her by rolling my eyes dramatically.

"Got it, Gabby. He doesn't fancy lame references like that, so please."

"He's right there, you know. I think he can answer for himself," she muttered and pointed to where he was standing. Then she slumped down on the couch, crossed her feet on the table and started flipping through the TV channels.

"Thanks, by the way. I feel exactly like home now."

I shook my head and laughed, and Michael did the same.

"Excuse her. She's just being Gabby."

"Already love her," he smiled. Then he picked up a menu from a desk that had a plate of delicious, freshly sliced fruit and a large bouquet of red roses. But that wasn't what caught my attention.

"Oh. Can I...?" I asked eagerly, looking at the bowl of candy.

"Of course."

"I'm warning you. She'll eat it all before you even get a taste," Gabby commented from the couch, and I blushed. "Even your hand if you're not careful."

I snorted and scowled at her.

"I'm not that greedy, Gabs. He can taste...some."

She turned towards Michael and made some gestures that told everything he needed to know about that case, but I didn't really care anymore. I already had the delicious taste of chocolate coating my taste buds and moaned in delight. I was actually so engrossed in finding my next temptation, that I didn't notice that Michael walked up to me and leaned close to my ear.