I Could Fall in Love...

MATURE CONTENT(small amount)

"You're telling me I missed all the tea?"

"You knew this was going to happen."

"Of course I did, but I didn't think it would get so bad to the point where it sounded like an episode of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Atlanta combined." Eve shook her head in contemplation. "I can't believe they said those things. I can't believe Mama Johnson said those things! She's got balls!"

"Yep." I muttered quietly. Even though I had said everything I wanted to say and I finally watched my mother stand up for herself, I was still annoyed that it had to happen even at all. We were supposed to be family. We were supposed to support and care for each other. But it seemed like everyone on my mom's side never learned how to do that. Meg and Harlan were the only two that I had faith in and it still pained me that Meg felt like she wouldn't be able to see the baby once they were born. That's not how it's supposed to be.

"Gabi? Gabi!" My head whipped up and I looked at Eve with startled wide eyes. "You okay? I've been calling you for awhile now." She said worriedly.

"I'm fine." I replied quickly.

She recognizes the look on my face that says not to press any further, so she changes the topic. "Jackson's here. He brought baby clothes!" She squealed, grabbing and tugging my arm. "Come on!"

I sigh heavily, reluctantly letting her drag me up from my seat on the bed. Sure it sounded exciting. I mean, it's baby clothes; they're cute, but I wasn't in the mood and I hadn't talked or texted Jackson since that night. Everything suddenly became awkward after, whether it was me who caused it or Jackson, him showing up to that Thanksgiving dinner was a mistake. The only person who seemed unbothered by it was my mother.

As I stepped into the living room area of my apartment, I couldn't help but gasp at the large pile of baby clothes, diapers, and other necessities. "Jackson...what did you do?"

He shrugged sheepishly, avoiding my eyes. "I got a little excited."

"Little excited is an understatement. You won't even need to have a baby shower. Jackson got everything!" Eve laughed, holding up a stroller.

I crossed my arms, a slight frown settling on my face and from the corner of my eye, I could see Jackson taking in my expression. I wasn't upset that he bought these things, just upset that he did it without me.

As if he could read my mind, he spoke up. "I, um...didn't buy as much as I was going to, because I wanted you to come along..." He trailed off, watching me cautiously. "I can take back some stuff if you don't like it."

"Why would she do that?" Eve frowned, glaring at me. "This stuff is expensive, Jackson. She's keeping it." She shut down any argument from me with one stare and I huffed walking into the kitchen. "If pregnancy's going to make me this much of a bitch, I don't want it." I heard her grumble to Jackson as I walked off.

"I don't think it's about that." Jackson sighs.

"What do you mean?"

"I-i just feel like...like I shouldn't have shown up to that dinner. I feel like I ruined everything."

My attention was quickly drawn back to them. I leaned against the sink, eavesdropping on their conversation with open ears. It wasn't often I see Jackson and Eve having a full on conversation without me being there alongside them.

"Jackson, what the hell are you talking about?" Eve hissed quietly over at him. "Without you, she wouldn't have even made it through that dinner. You know that."

"Yeah, but..."

"But what?" Eve pressed on and I leaned forward, to hear his next words.

"Maybe if I hadn't been there, things wouldn't have turned out as badly as they did. Despite her mom's side being crappy human beings, maybe they would still be a part of Gabi's life, especially Meg. I don't know..." He sighs heavily. "I was the one to start everything. I should've just kept my mouth shut. And now look. Gabi and I haven't really talked since then and I honestly take it as my fault. I don't want to be the reason a family breaks up."