The Start to a New Year

"How she doing?" Eve asked.

I shrugged, my chin settled on my crossed arms, that were perched by her bedside. "She's been asleep the entire time."

It felt like a race against time when the ambulance showed. It got to the point where Gabi was going through stomach pains and a panic attack at the same time. She was crying and screaming, and there was just nothing I could do about it except sit there and hold her shaking body. I wasn't sure if they had given her something or if it was due to exhaustion, but she passed out a few minutes after we had arrived.

"Well, what did the doctors say, Jackson?" Gabi's mother pressed, her voice anxious.

I go tell her that I have no idea as well, when the doctor, herself, walks in. "You must be her mother." She shook her hand before settling by Gabi's side.

"What happened? What's wrong with her?" I asked in the same urgency.

The doctor sighs and gives a reassuring smile. "It's a good thing you guys came when you did." That didn't sound reassuring whatsoever. "What happened was something called Pre-eclampsia."

"Pre-what?" Eve and I both say in union.

"Pre-eclampsia or also known as Toxemia. It's a very dangerous pregnancy complication that could've lead to fatal complications for her and the baby. It's also rare, so to say I was surprised is an understatement." She sighs again, this time heavily. "That was probably what caused the abdominal pain and her blood pressure is very high."

"So she didn't have a miscarriage?" I stared at Gabi's sleeping form.

"She almost did, but no. She didn't."

"But...but the blood, there was blood dripping down her leg..." I trailed off, even more confused.

"Blood?" The doctor frowned, thinking for a minute, before her brows raised in understanding. "Oh! You mean the razer cut."

"Razer cut?"

"I hope this is okay." She looks to us for permission, before lifting the blanket off Gabi to expose her thigh. "I'm assuming she was shaving when the pain started. She must've been shocked about the sudden pain that she cut herself deeply while shaving. That was the cause of the blood you saw dripping down her leg."

"Oh, thank goodness." Gabi's mother let out a sigh of relief, sagging against the wall.

"So she'll be fine?" I questioned, still worried.

"Yes. She and the baby are okay thanks to your quick action. If it wasn't for that, she would have to go through a procedure. For now, just let her sleep and once she wakes up, we'll give her some medicine and she should be good to go."

"Thanks doc." Eve and Gabi's mother walked the doctor out while I sat there staring at her still form.

I almost lost her. Right before a new year. I couldn't imagine starting another year without her. How could've this happened? I thought. What led to all of this?

"Is it because I didn't propose?" I asked her stupidly. Obviously, she didn't reply, but I hoped she would. "Did I stress you out?" God, I should've just proposed.

"Are you nagging at yourself again?" Eve appeared by my side. "You know, not everything that happens is your fault."

"Maybe if I just had-"

"Maybe if you just had-nothing. Pregnancy contributes to high blood pressure, that's normal and she's been stressed about the pregnancy since it started. None of this is your fault. I will admit that she was starting to overthink the whole proposing thing, but that was the least of the situation." She sits down. "There was so much she was going through that she probably kept bottled up."