Chapter 158: Dancing with the Stars

Start from the beginning

"If you want to know, you can just ask me," Larsial berated before Kashi could answer.

Shadow glared at Kashi, but the daeben only shrugged, not even bothering to hide the amusement in his eyes. Shadow could only grudgingly turn to Larsial. "What are you doing here?"

"Would you believe me if I said I came to look for you?" Larsial said as she pulled down her hood. Shadow replied with a stern, silent glare. "Okay, cool boy. I'm in the middle of negotiations with your boss. Part of our deal is I have to shadow him everywhere for a few months."

Shadow looked to Kashi. Upon receiving confirmation in the form of a nod, he turned his attention to Lunette. "We have a problem."

Lunette felt sorry for Larsial, especially after noticing her darkening expression. But she knew her brother. Once he made up his mind about something or someone, no one could change it except he chose to do so. So, she sent an apologetic smile Larsial's way before replying, "What happened?"

"Comet just logged in to tell us he won't be able to make it," Shadow reported. "His mother's got him cleaning up the home. Most likely won't be done for another real-world hour."

"That's five hours," Lunette muttered, expression downcast.

"This Comet guy, is he important?" Kashi asked, concerned by Lunette's heavy gaze.

"Yes," Shadow answered. "He's the core of today's routines. We cannot perform without him."

"Don't you have a replacement?" Kashi questioned. He looked pointedly at Shadow. "You can't do it?"

"No. Tonight's routine has two cores," Shadow revealed with a shake of his head. "I'm the second. As for replacements, this whole dance thing is still new. We've only got three Summoned. The rest are Residents."

"Oh, and the Residents still need some training."

"Exactly," Shadow confirmed. "Any ideas?"

"Nope, none," Kashi stated. "You guys can't perform without the dance routine?"

"Lune definitely can," Shadow agreed. "But she's been planning this for a while now. It would su--"

"Hey, I have an idea!" Lunette suddenly shouted, glitters shining in her eyes as she looked up at Kashi.

"No!" Kashi instantly refused, goosebumps rising all over his skin. The daeben fearfully made an X with his arms across his chest. "There's no way I am going to dance. Forget it."

"Stingy," Lunette clucked her tongue.

"Like I was saying earlier," Shadow's low voice started, drawing Kashi's attention. "Lune's been planning this for weeks. She would be really devastated if this falls through. Her fans might even boycott her following performances. Nobody likes a liar."

As if on cue, Lunette's head dropped, lips trembling as she adopted her best 'sad puppy' face.

Kashi glared at Shadow, but the assassin's cold expression did not so much as shift. His eyes seemed to say, 'I've given you the facts. Now you decide whether you'll be an asshole or hero.' For the first time, Kashi experienced the benefits of having a powerful neutral expression. If this were Suzuki, he would have been able to keep pressure on Shadow's neutrality with his own, but Kashi had long since lost that neutrality.

After a couple of moments of looking from Shadow to Lunette, Kashi's guilt finally overcame his resistance. "Just warning you, I can't dance," Kashi very reluctantly warned.

Lunette squealed in delight as she jumped onto Kashi and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Told you you're a big softie." She rewarded his generosity with a kiss on the cheek. "And don't worry. Dancing isn't that difficult. You can definitely learn the routine."