Chapter 158: Dancing with the Stars

Start from the beginning

Larsial hesitated, brows furrowed in confusion. Was everybody in the Hopeful Maggots like this? Show some damn restraint! Larsial was only one of the masterminds behind the previous war. How could they just turn around and be okay with working with her? Were they not afraid she could just be playing the long game. Despite all these thoughts in her head, she could not bring herself to lie to Lunette's sincere gaze. "I cannot promise anything."

"I didn't hear a no," Lunette observed with a hearty smile. "That's more than plenty for now." With that, she turned around and dragged Kashi down the hallway. "Come, come, let me show you around before you go running off on another adventure."

Kashi scratched the back of his head with a guilty smile. "How'd you know?"

"Anyone would know," Lunette stated with a mocking snort. "So, where are you headed next?"

"Just plain leveling," Kashi revealed with a light shrug as Lunette dragged him down the hallway. "I've got a lot of killing to do if I don't want to be left behind. I also want to look into finding an evolution path for Drix. He needs to evolve if he's going to keep up with us."

"Just admit you don't want to abandon him, you big softie," Lunette teased with a light punch. "Do you have any clues?"

"I have a rough idea," Kashi revealed, gaze constantly on a swivel as he took in the various intriguing sights. A lot of rooms had their doors wide open, allowing him a clear view of everything inside. In one room, he saw actors practicing a scene; in another, a troupe of dancers performed a routine. "There's a small tribe of centaurs North of Rosendun. Absalon's troops had a small run-in with them on their way to Aygorzi. They offered to evolve his horse in exchange for stopping a Blight invasion."

Concern shone in Lunette's eyes. "Did he?"

"Nah," Kashi replied. "They were in too much of a hurry to join us. He could not afford to get into any sort of protracted battle or lose any men. So, I'll go take a look-see for myself. With any luck, there's still plenty of blight left."

Lunette shook her head with a wry smile. "Only you would see that as luck." Lunette's expression brightened, however, upon seeing a particular door. "Hehe," she chuckled as she increased her pace, almost running into the room with Kashi in tow. "This is my practice room. What do you think?"

Kashi gave the room a once-over, a small smile playing at the edge of the lips as he appreciated the graffiti of musical notes and birds on the sky-blue walls. A large piano sat in a corner of the room, surrounded by various string and wind instruments. Other corners had large, black, box-like items which, judging from the loud music, was the latest version of the new 'speakers.'

Kashi looked away from the instruments to the seven people at the center of the room, all of whom gaped at him in shock. Unlike the security guard, most of these people were either part of or had dealings with the Hopeful Maggots. They all knew what Kashi really looked like, and even if they were not confident at first glance, there was only one-person Lunette would hold like that.

At the head of the group stood Shadow, dressed in a loose-fitting singlet, slacks, and what Kashi would've sworn were sneakers. The little assassin approached his guild master, expression cold as always. "Kashi," Shadow greeted with a short nod.

"Shadow," Kashi reciprocated. "What's with the get-up?"

"Lune's got a performance in two hours," Shadow said. "We're finishing up on the dance routine."

"Oh? You dance?" Larsial walked out from behind Kashi, a snarky glint in her eyes.

Shadow's gaze narrowed. He turned to Kashi and questioned, "What is she doing here?"