Chapter 5: White Spirit

Master Yin had sent word to the Song Clan the day he proposed the idea of a meeting to the prince. He sent his fastest rider and, two days later, he received a reply. They had accepted the offer on the basis that it would be a peaceful meeting with minimal guards.

"We are to meet them in Huainyi. It is a kingdom of neutral status with both of our sects, one run by the merchants of the Luó Clan. I am sure you are familiar with them," Master Yin explained as he offered his hand.

Song Mengyao hummed and placed his hand into his, allowing him to help him up into the carriage. "My family have had many dealings with them over the years. They are very well respected among all clans."

"Then you know that they will not allow us to bicker amongst ourselves whilst we are on their territory."

The prince hummed again and sat down on his side of the carriage. There were two cushions laid out for them as the journey would be a somewhat long one. It would take at least two days to reach Huainyi which, in most respects, was not actually that long at all. To Song Mengyao, however, that was much too long to spend on the road with the young master.

From where he sat, he pulled the curtain to the side so that he could glance out of the carriage. His servant was climbing up onto one of the horses, two Yin guards had positioned themselves either side of him to stop him from running away.

Noticing what had caught the young prince's eye, Master Yin stated, "Your servant Dai Zian will be accompanying us."

"In that case, I have one more thing to ask of you, Master Yin. Let Dai Zian go back with my sister, he misses his family as much as I do mine."

The prince fully understood how his servant felt. Dai Zian had a family, a wife and children waiting for him at home. They needed him to survive, they relied on his wages to live. The prince was certain his family were taking care of them, but he knew that they needed Dai Zian home. His youngest was maybe three? No, four, and there was another little one on the way. His family needed him home, even if the prince would have to remain in Qingyi alone.

Master Yin was surprised that the prince cared for his servant, although he soon realised that he should have expected it. Despite his cold demeanour since their first meeting, the prince seemed like a kind person. Warm to most although naturally bitter towards Master Yin for holding him prisoner.

"Very well. He may return home after the meeting, but you do realise this will mean you are completely alone in Qingyi?"

Song Mengyao closed his eyes and prepared for his meditation, speaking his final words before blocking out the rest of the world, "I am not afraid of being alone, Master Yin."

The journey to Huainyi went much faster than the prince had expected. Most of it passed as he meditated. When he wasn't meditating, he was forced to amuse the master with a game of Go, all of which he lost. His heart was simply not in it, Go was always a game his brothers had preferred.

It was clear that Master Yin enjoyed it though. He would watch the board so intently, determined to win but calm of mind. His breathing was steady, not once changing pace as he strategically coordinated each of his moves. When he was near winning the game, the right side of his mouth would raise, lips curving up ever so slightly as his latest victory dawned on him. He was a man of cunning and strategy, but also one who liked to play games.

When they were finished and had played at least a few games, the prince would return to his meditation, eyes closed as he forced that smirking face from his mind. Exhaling to steady his breath and, by the time he had finished inhaling again, he was calm. Meditation was one of the best ways to cultivate one's inner power, a power called Qi.