Chapter 19: Delving into Darkness

When he finally regained consciousness, Song Mengyao opened his eyes to darkness. The pain he felt was excruciating, almost utterly unbearable. As he sat up, he closed his eyes again, running his fingers along the sides of the bandage that had been wrapped around them.

"A-Yun!"

The first voice he heard brought a strange sense of comfort, a feeling that it was alright. That he was alright. Or at least that he was going to be.

"What happened? Where are we?"

Master Yin, who had been sitting beside the prince all night and day, released a sigh of relief and smiled. "In your bedchambers. They had me carry you here when we came back."

The prince's head turned slightly as his fingers began to trace delicately over his eyes, careful not to bring back the pain he had felt from merely opening them. "What about my wounds? My eyes?"

The young master felt a heavy weight in his heart. He did not wish to be the bearer of bad news. But, with all bad news came a silver lining.

"They will recover. It will just—"

"Take time," the prince finished for him and allowed his hand to drop to his side.

Master Yin hummed, "Yes, the physician could not give an accurate judgement on time. It may take weeks, months, or even years. The rest of your wounds are healing well, though."

Song Mengyao nodded, although he could not help feeling somewhat lost knowing that he would be without his sight for quite some time. His Qi was strong, so his wounds generally healed at an accelerated speed but a wound this severe was new to him.

Most who encountered the Suān Shù Lóng and were lucky enough to survive the encounter had lost their sight permanently. For those that were lucky enough to have their eyes heal over time, it was rare for their sight to ever be quite the same again.

The young master noticed the melancholic aura that had engulfed the prince and opened his mouth to reassure him. Before he could speak a single word, however, another voice rang throughout the room.

"Brother!"

Jiaying flashed across the room, throwing her arms around her brother the moment she was in range. However, when he winced in pain, she was quick to step back again. With a sheepish smile, she apologised and sat beside him.

Just like that, the young master had found that another young girl had forced a space between him and the prince. Although he was relieved that this time it was Song Jiaying and not Meixiu again.

While the girl fussed over her brother, Yin Jianguo stood to leave, wishing to allow them some time alone.

However, despite not being able to see the young master prepare to leave, Song Mengyao felt his presence leave his side and called out to him with a questioning tone.

The young master stopped in his tracks, hand retracting from where it had settled against the door as he stepped back into the room with a hum drifting from behind his lips.

The prince did not know what possessed him to stop the young master from leaving, nor did he understand why he felt such an intense need to do so. Despite the lack of sense it made, he had still done it, catching even his sister off guard.

"I- Thank you. For bringing me back here and rescuing me once again. I apologise for being such a burden to you."

Master Yin walked back over and sighed. "You are not a burden, A-Yun. If I had gone in first it might have been me sitting where you are now. I am sorry that I was not fast enough to get them off of you."