Chapter 13: The Xiangliu River

It had been a few weeks since they had returned to Qingyi, yet no information about their assailants had been obtained. It seemed as though the group that had attacked them disappeared into thin air like ghosts. Of course, they were not the most organised or professional bandits, so it was impossible for them to have achieved such a feat on their own. They had either been helped or killed.

The only good thing that had come of their time at home seemed to be the healing of their wounds, which was all but complete. Master Yin—with the help of many meditation sessions—had managed to fully restore and strengthen his Qi.

Not much had happened. Well, not much that Song Mengyao found himself involved with. Everything was as it should be. Quiet. The busy streets of Qingyi were no more crowded than usual and the prince had travelled down to the marketplace on occasion with the company of Meixiu or Master Yin. Although, on none of their endeavours had they learnt any new passing information of relevance.

It was only when a new letter arrived from his sister, that things started to change again.

My Dearest Brother,

I wish I was writing to you under better circumstances, but this is no light matter.

Our eldest brother was sent on a mission to the Xiangliu River to follow up on reports of multiple disappearances of fishermen in the area, but days have passed, and he is yet to return.

Father is worried that something may have happened to him but cannot send Chonglin to investigate as he is currently on his way to Quzhou to defend the townsfolk from a ferocious Ao Yin.

I am sure you have noticed it as well, the unrest in the air. The demons are more dangerous than before, and sightings have risen tenfold in only a matter of months. Please, if you take up our request to find him, be careful. I fear for your safety but knowing that Master Yin will fight by your side puts me at ease somewhat.

Please, find our brother and return him home to us, but do not risk your own life if he is already gone.

Your Sister,

Jiaying.

Master Yin watched Song Mengyao's expression shift as he read the letter. He had expected to see the prince smile after receiving word from his sister, however, it was nothing but a sombre frown that had captured his face.

"What is it?"

Song Mengyao put the letter down and raised a hand to smooth out the tension between his brows, rubbing two fingers softly against his skin. "My brother is missing."

"Song Chonglin?"

"No, my eldest brother, Song Guang. At the Xiangliu River."

Their eyes met, although there was not a hum in thought nor a scratch of the head between them. The Xiangliu River had received its name from the beast that was said to reside within it: the Xiangliu. Although, that was just an old legend.

It was speculated that the creature had never been defeated and was in a deep slumber where the river was at its deepest, awaiting its next meal.

"Xiangliu." Yin Jianguo lightly rubbed his chin, lost in thought for a moment before his eyes set on Song Mengyao once again. "Do you think-"

"No. The creature was last seen centuries ago, said to be dead. If it has risen again..." Song Mengyao shook his head, words trailing off as he thought the worst.

Of course, Song Mengyao could not sit idly by while his elder brother was missing. Nor would Master Yin allow him to travel into danger alone. So, against the wishes of Lady Yin, who had expressed nothing but concern since they announced their coming journey, they set out by nightfall.