Chapter 21: A New Acquaintance

As the people of the village wept, Master Yin noticed an unusual-looking man off to the side speaking to whom he presumed was the head of the village.

His long hair was the purest of white, perhaps even whiter than snow. It was tied up high but still hung low enough to reach the lowest region of his slim back. His skin was glazed over with the faintest hint of honey, although his nose and cheeks remained rosy out in the cold. He was tall, with long, strong legs that met with the delicate curve of his hips.

In his arms, lay a child. A child covered in blood, but a child that was still breathing. The blood trickled down, staining the fine linen of his robes. What was once white entangled by streams of midnight blue was now stained all over with patches of blood, yet the man seemed not to have a single injury on him.

After taking a moment of silence for the victims, the prince tugged on the young master's robe to garner his attention. "What do you see? How many bodies are there?"

Yin Jianguo pulled his eyes away from the unusual man and scanned over the pile of bodies, trying to push aside the fact that they were so young and so small as he counted them up.

"It is hard to tell. I would say at least four or five."

The prince's head hung low as he could not help but think they could have prevented these untimely deaths had they arrived sooner. Although he knew not to dwell on what had already happened as there was no way to change it. Instead, he knew it was best to focus on the living. The creature would be back that night, and they were likely the only people standing between it and more innocent lives.

"Are you from the palace?" One of the villagers approached them, their words drawing the attention of all who were nearby.

She had addressed Master Yin, but it was Song Mengyao who replied, "Yes. My mother sent us to help. I am Song Mengyao, and this is Yin Jianguo of the Yin Sect. Please, if you have any information that may help us defeat the creature, do not hold it back."

The people looked at each other in disbelief. This was the third prince, Song Mengyao? The Magnolia Prince of Shiyanyi? A young man who could not even see?

Murmurs began to quietly rumble through the crowd, but one voice in particular stood out to the young master.

"Why did they send a cripple?"

He narrowed his eyes for a moment before realising that it was not his place to get angry about such things but, hearing someone speak so lowly of Song Yun lit a fire in his eyes. He could not help but take the offence as if it were meant for himself but, as the prince did not react, he calmed himself down.

As the crowd continued to whisper to one another, seemingly unaware that their words could be heard by all, the young master lost what little calm had been left and opened his mouth to defend the prince. However, before he could do so, the young, snowy-haired man that had caught his attention before spoke over the mumbles of the crowd.

"So, my messenger arrived? Perfect!" The man clapped his hands together as he approached the two men.

The prince raised an eyebrow, although it could not be seen well under the fabric of his bandages. "You sent the message?"

"Yes, allow me to introduce myself. I am Qin Bingwen." The man bowed politely, showing respect to the prince in front of the members of the village who had all since gone awfully quiet.

"I am afraid I do not know that name. Where are you from?" Master Yin queried, wondering where the unusual man had originated from.

Seeing him now, he had a somewhat exotic look about him. Two narrow, piercing steel-coloured eyes sat on either side of his broad nose. His lips, two dark rose petals lying delicately against his slim face.