Chapter 20: Lovers

Emperor Song had decided to set out at the same time as Lady Yin, wishing to escort her and her daughter safely until they parted ways. When their journey would take them in different directions, he had promised to leave a handful of disciples from his Sect to see them the rest of the way.

Song Mengyao stood with his sister. His arm linked together with hers as they wished their father and brother luck on their journey.

"Yun, you are the man of this house now. I know your mother and sister can protect themselves, but you must watch over them for me while I am gone. Stay by Master Yin's side. He truly is a friend you can rely on. Perhaps the two of you will even become family in the future, brothers by marriage. He will be your eyes until you recover from your wounds, have faith in him."

The prince smiled, determined to show strength before his father. "Just be careful out there, even the busiest of roads are not safe anymore."

His father chuckled and turned to Jiaying, placing his palm on her cheek. "Look after your brother. Do not let him worry himself over nothing."

Despite the sadness in her eyes, the princess grinned and promised him that they would look out for each other while he was gone.

While they bid their goodbyes, Master Yin stood ruffling his sister's hair. "Look after Mother, and try not to get into too much trouble."

The girl giggled and swatted his hand away. "We will be fine, just look after Song Mengyao. I know he is strong and capable, but he needs someone by his side until his eyes heal. Maybe the next time I come here it will be for my own wedding."

Master Yin scrunched up his face and flicked his sister's forehead a little too harshly. She scowled and rubbed the sore spot, poking her tongue out at him.

"Teasing until the last second I see," Lady Yin sighed as she approached her children.

She turned to her son, pulling him into a loving hug and squeezed him just a little tighter than usual. "Look after yourself, and him," she gestured toward the prince, "He needs someone by his side at the moment."

Everyone was saying the same thing. Look after Song Mengyao. Protect Song Mengyao. Guide him until he recovers. And although Master Yin felt the same way, infused with the same desire to protect him, he also knew that he was not a child. Song Mengyao was a man capable of many feats, someone strong even when he faced difficulties. He could overcome anything, even this.

"We will be fine, Mother."

With the rumble of a hum emitting from her pursed lips, Lady Yin nodded. "Goodbye, my son. May we meet again soon."

As the convoy began to leave, the young master felt a sense of relief. He was free again. Free from the duties of his Sect. Free from his mother. Free from hearing his sister rattle on and on about her future engagement to Song Mengyao.

He had turned down the title of Sect Leader for this very reason. He hated the responsibility and the shackles that came with it. If he had taken the position, he would have been forced to return after the wedding. Forced to protect his own people, even if the ones he loved most were far from Qingyi and needed him more. That was his mother's responsibility now which meant he could stay in Shiyanyi, where he wanted to be. By Song Yun's side.

Life was almost too calm in the days that followed.

All of Shiyanyi was well protected. The palace especially was well-guarded at all times by experienced disciples of the Song Sect. Had Song Mengyao not been there, it would have been almost too boring for the young master to bear.

Luckily for him, he had someone to accompany. Someone to entertain. However, Song Mengyao felt more as though he were the one doing the entertaining.

When they meditated, he could feel the young master's eyes on him. He would sigh and tell him to concentrate, only he knew Master Yin would do nothing of the sort. It distracted his own meditation, causing him to fidget under the constant gaze that bore through him. After some time, however, he began to grow used to it again.