Chapter 9: Lurking Evil

"Are you sure you will be okay, Tian? It might be better for you to stay in Huainyi at least until your Qi has fully replenished," Madame Tao worried as she helped the master tie up his clean robes.

Master Yin sighed, "I have to go back and tell my mother what happened, she might be in danger too."

The old woman was saddened about their departure but understood why they had to leave so soon. She only wished for the little boy she had always looked after to be safe, but she knew he was a man now. A man who needed to protect his family.

"Just be careful, okay?"

Master Yin smiled softly and placed his good hand on her shoulder. "We will be fine, I promise."

Song Mengyao walked into the room, cutting their conversation short. The clothes he had been given were not as exquisite as his ruined robes, but the baby blue beautifully complemented his complexion. In fact, had the prince walked out in even the cheapest robes, Master Yin was certain that he would still look divine.

"Still a little big, but you look better in them than Tian ever did," Madame Tao chuckled, adjusting the robes slightly so that they looked a little less baggy.

Master Yin would have come back with something, but he couldn't fault the old woman's words; the prince really did suit the colour much more than he ever did.

"Thank you, for everything."

Madame Tao smiled brightly and took Song Mengyao's hands in her own. "Look after him for me. The road ahead will be a dangerous one."

Song Mengyao nodded, silently promising her that he would do as she asked. He had already been too much of a burden to Master Yin, but no longer. He was determined to get them back to Qingyi in one piece, even if he had to fight every step of the way. Although, as long as they were careful, it would be possible to travel back safely.

"Come on. We need to leave now, or he'll leave without us."

Madame Tao had managed to arrange transport for them. They would have to ride in the back of a wagon to Taizhou Inn. It was only half of the distance back to Qingyi, so they would be on their own from there, but it was more than they could have ever asked for.

As the wagon rolled along, Master Yin leaned back and closed his eyes, wishing to give the prince some solace while he meditated. Although, he was soon talking again. "Perhaps we will be able to play a game of Go at the inn."

Song Mengyao hummed, warming to the idea quite quickly despite the interruption, as he had begun to rather enjoy their games together. What had started out as something he felt forced to partake in had become a pleasant way to pass the time.

The journey was a quiet one, a few hours rolling down the road in the back of the wagon. Despite the bumps and occasional words from Master Yin, Song Mengyao had managed to meditate peacefully for most of the ride. His head was healing faster than the master's hand, he simply needed to be wary of getting an infection.

Yin Jianguo, on the other hand, had slept for most of the journey. No matter how hard he tried to hide it, his energy was depleted, and he needed to restore his Qi in case they were to encounter danger on the road back to Qingyi.

By the time they arrived at Taizhou Inn, Song Mengyao had thought about a great many things. How his relationship with Master Yin had developed into something almost comfortable in the time since he was taken as a hostage by the Yin Sect. It was strange to now see him as something akin to a friend as opposed to the stranger he used to be.

"Welcome," the inn owner greeted the two men the moment they walked in, eyeing up their posture in hopes that it would convey how rich they were.

Song Mengyao glanced around, somewhat ignoring the conversation they were having as Master Yin began to haggle for a pair of rooms. It was a nice inn, one that certainly had enough business coming through from the lower classes. Any rich man would simply pass by in their carriage straight onto one of the adjacent cities, unbothered by the few extra hours on the road.