Chapter 22: The Monster In The Mountains

As the shadow of the moon descended upon Quzhou, the Song Sect disciples gathered just outside of the village.

Nervous fingers were already twitching around the edge of their swords, all on high alert as they knew that the creature would soon arrive. They crouched, waiting behind the cover of the trees as they readied themselves for the signal.

Song Mengyao listened closely for any change in their surroundings. His ears had grown sensitive in the time since he lost his sight and he relied on them more than anything to guide him now. If there was any sound that should not be there, even if it were only the quiet snap of a twig or a distant crunch of leaves, he was certain he would hear it.

When the signal did arrive, it was not the one they had expected. Although, the prince could not say he was surprised when he heard the hysterical yells of a particular young master as he came sprinting down from the mountains.

It had been the only way to draw the creatures away from the village. He needed to venture into the mountains on his own, relying on his quick footwork to remain out of the monsters' claws as he lured them to where they would battle.

"Song Yun! Song Yun! They are coming!"

The sound of the grown man's squeals was humorous but there was no time to allow for even a small chuckle. They were coming — both of them. The creatures leapt from surface to surface as they scrambled across the rocks and boulders leading down from their nest.

Master Yin chuckled through his cries, taking the situation with far too mush ease as he leapt up into the air. When his feet landed atop a nearby rock, the beasts were out in the open, each snarling as they looked around.

"Now!"

Song Yun led the charge out into the open while Qin Bingwen watched on with amusement from the side.

Seeing the young master and blind prince run into battle without even a trace of fear or worry was inspiring. Still, he barely batted so much as an eye as he watched from the sidelines. He was not a fighter after all. No, he was a simple traveller who had found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The disciples of the Song Sect circled around the creatures, caging them in as they moved to attack.

A Nian. It was the first time any of them had seen one in person. Large monsters with skin as dark as the night. Covered in thick, fearsome scales that shone with the smallest tinge of blue reflecting in the moonlight. They each stood at the height of two men, towering above those that threatened them harm. Their gnashing yellow fangs bared themselves as they growled and roared at their prey.

With his blade raised, Master Yin looked to Song Mengyao with a pit in his stomach. Although he had faith that the prince could hold his own, he was still worried that it was too soon for him to partake in such a battle. The area was open enough to provide him with the space he needed but there were other factors at play.

Only moments after the fight began, dozens of Song disciples were hurled through the air and their bodies ripped apart by razor-sharp claws and gnashing teeth. Their blood had stained everything in sight.

When Song Yun felt a splash of liquid hit his face, he dived forward and plunged his blade deep into the beast's shoulder, landing his strike after the brave sacrifice of one of his men. As he jumped back, the creature's claws barely missed his stomach, cutting harshly through his clothes as his feet resettled firmly on the ground.

Piercingly vicious golden eyes glared at him but, before it had a chance to strike again, another disciple threw their blade into the beast's eye, scarring it and taking away some of its sight. It roared and lunged, filling its hungry mouth with the body of the attacker.