Chapter 17: Old Friends

Yin Jianguo had not wanted to leave Shiyanyi without bidding the prince goodbye, but he also had not wished to disturb him so early in the morning. Of course, Emperor Song saw him off with a smile. Although it was difficult to tell if he was really just happy to see him finally leave.

In the time since he left Shiyanyi, Master Yin had experienced something entirely different from anything he had ever experienced before. Something much too overwhelming.

There was a pit in his stomach. A stone trapped at the back of his throat. It was as if there was this empty space constantly beside him, even when he was surrounded by dozens of other people. Unconsciously, he even tended to find his eyes scanning over the room or glancing out into the gardens to that deserted spot beside the pond, but whatever he had been looking for was never there.

His trip to Hengde, a village that had become overrun by vicious Jiangshi, was a good distraction from what he was experiencing. However, that distraction had not lasted long enough and before he knew it he was back at home, trapped with his thoughts once again.

He hadn't understood it at first. He couldn't grasp what it was that he had been feeling. Whatever it was, he knew had been that was consuming every ounce of him. In fact, it was not until someone mentioned a particular word in an irrelevant conversation in passing that he realised what it was.

Oh, how I miss my mother. Or something along those lines. He was far too caught up in his own train of thought to remember their exact words. Regardless, he finally understood what it was that had been gnawing away at him. The scratch that couldn't be itched.

He missed Song Mengyao.

Of course, he had experienced the feeling of missing someone before, particularly after the death of his father. However, this feeling was a different kind of longing. Not one that came with mourning, but one that came with knowing someone you cared for was far away and yet, still looking up at the same stars and moon as you.

Song Mengyao was not dead. No, he was simply far away. Then again, perhaps the feeling felt different because the way Yin Jianguo felt about the prince was very different to how he felt about his father. Perhaps different feelings toward a person would result in a different feeling when you were missing them. That conclusion only raised another question; just what were his feelings for Song Mengyao?

Were they feelings of friendship and trust or brotherhood, perhaps? If so, then what was this sense of longing he felt so deep within his core, residing at the centre of his heart?

It was a strange feeling, particularly as he had never had such a long-lasting fixation on one person for so long before. In fact, besides his family and Madam Tao, there were very few he considered himself close to.

He knew what it was these feelings were supposed to mean. He had just never expected to feel them for someone like Song Mengyao.

Whatever they were, the only thing that mattered was that the prince, over such a short period of time, had become someone very dear to him. He was willing to accept that despite knowing the implications it would bring.

"What have I told you about frowning? It is not good for your skin; we do not want to see your handsome, young face covered in wrinkles, do we?"

Master Yin sighed. "Sorry, mother. I just have a lot on my mind."

"What could you possibly have on your mind? You gave up your title and duties to me, remember? If I were anyone else, I would have forced you to take up the mantle of Sect Leader. You are certainly old enough for the responsibility."

It was true, after turning down the title of Sect Leader and passing it on to his mother, Master Yin had little to worry about. Well, besides the mysterious attack on him and Song Mengyao that was yet to be resolved.