Chapter 16: Alone

"Had enough rest already, brother?"

Song Mengyao hummed as he walked through the garden, approaching Song Guang and his betrothed, Zheng Jinghua. He offered a happy smile to the woman he already considered to be his sister, and sat alongside them.

"You look well, Jeijei."

"As do you, for someone who has been away from home for so long. I am just glad the two of you returned safely." Jinghua grinned widely and placed her hands over Song Guang's, squeezing just a little bit as she leaned closer to him.

It was nice to see a couple so much in love, especially after spending so long trapped with Master Yin. It was comforting to see something so simple, so black and white, for a change. Feelings that made sense, feelings that just were. Unlike those that had been stirring within the young prince for quite some time now.

He hummed again, amber eyes glancing around the garden in search of something. Someone. "Are they still inside?"

"Yes, Father is yet to let Master Yin go. I am afraid they may have already torn each other's heads off," Song Guang chuckled, clearly enjoying the distress he was able to cause his younger brother. Even as the eldest of them, he still very much enjoyed teasing his siblings.

Disapproving of the startled look in Song Mengyao's eyes, Jinghua shook her head and tutted, "Do not tease your brother. They are fine, Yun. A-Xing told me they seemed to be getting along. I am sure they will be able to see eye to eye."

"Sorry, Yun. You know that if you trust Master Yin, Father will without a doubt. They are probably just discussing things in detail so that they do not have to meet again. I am sure the young master wishes to return home soon anyway," Song Guang confirmed before standing, "Well, I think it is time for us to go. It will be getting late soon, brother. Try not to stay up all night if they do not return."

Song Mengyao sat for a little while longer after the lovebirds left. He did not wish to go back to his room again. It was wonderful to be home, to feel comfortable again, but there was this strange feeling in his chest. It felt somehow suffocating. It was as though something heavy was pushing down onto his chest.

His father would finish talking to Yin Jianguo soon and then the young master would be able to return home. Everything would be over and back to normal, just how the prince had wanted.

That was just it. He had truly wanted things to go back to normal. He had wanted to get away from the young master and return home as soon as possible. He had decided that if he ever saw the young master again, it would be too soon. Now, however, he felt different about the matter. Very much so.

"Yun? What are you doing out here? It is getting late; you will catch a cold."

The prince hadn't even noticed that he had grown lost in his thoughts until the voice he had been so desperately searching for questionably spoke his name. His eyes flickered over to the young master, who stood with his hands tucked neatly behind his back.

"Yun?" The prince repeated his words, unaware of when he had given the young master permission to call him by that name.

"It is your name, is it not? Or would you prefer A-Yun?" Yin Jianguo teased as the prince came to stand before him, "A-Yun is much better. Don't you think, A-Yun? A-Yun. A-Yun."

He repeated the name over and over, continuing to pester the prince until he simply shook his head and began to walk away. At times, it was difficult to imagine that the young master was indeed over three years older than Song Mengyao. Although, it seemed his childish side only came out when the prince was around.