Chapter 9

Hoseok couldn’t help but chance a look at Taehyung, who of course wasn’t looking back at him, his eyes focused on the road. But still, Hoseok studied the outline of Taehyung’s profile, and wished he could reach out and touch Taehyung’s face.

He sat on his hands instead. Then he moved them to his legs, because he couldn't seem to stop fidgeting. He needed to think about something--anything--else.

“So, how did Jimin know who I was immediately, when the rest of you had to look it up? Is he a really big idol fan, or something?”

“Hmm, well kind of? But mostly after we graduated high school, he ran off to Seoul to become a dancer. All he ever wanted to do, the whole time we were growing up, was dance. He auditioned and got into a company and everything, but then...” Taehyung trailed off. “Then his grandma got sick, and he had to come back here to take care of her. She died a few months ago, but he hasn't gone back to Seoul. Hasn't been able to, really. He doesn’t have the money now. He saved up for years in high school, to get to the opportunity to go the first time. That money is all gone now.”

“Oh.” Hoseok bit his lip, not expecting that. He didn’t know what to say. What could he say? “Well, when I get back to Seoul, once this trip is you know, um, over, I could help him out, if he wanted me to. I’d make sure he understood it wasn’t charity. Sometimes, in this business, people need a foot in the door. I could be that, for Jimin, and I’d be glad to do it.”

Even under the dim lights, Hoseok could see the way Taehyung’s eyes lit up. “That would be so great. You'd have to talk to Jimin about it, of course, because he's really stubborn, but-”

“I'll totally talk to him, next time I see him. And I’ll make him understand that I’m not being charitable. Just because I can help him get back into the industry, that doesn’t mean I can make things happen for him. He’ll have to do the rest of the work himself.”

Taehyung reached out and threaded their fingers together on Hoseok’s thigh. It was a casual touch, but something about it still made Hoseok feel a little breathless. “You’re so...” Taehyung started, and then shook his head. He moved his hand away from Hoseok’s, and placed it back on the steering wheel. “Anyway, let’s get home, alright hyung?”

“Yeah. Home,” Hoseok softly, something nice about the word, even if Taehyung’s house wasn’t his home. He knew that, he definitely knew that, but there was still something so nice about the feeling.

That night in bed, once they’ve both taken a bath and are underneath the sheets, Taehyung turned to him and asked, “Hyung?”

“Yes?”

It’s a quiet for a long time, before Taehyung let out a deep breath, like he’d been holding it for a long time. “Why did you...you know. Why did you come out here? Was it something...bad?”

“No, it wasn’t bad,” Hoseok said, whispering now too, because there was something appropriate about that now. “I just needed some time away from everything. You can look it up if you want, I don’t mind. It’s just weird to talk about.”

“Okay,” Taehyung said. Another beat passed, and then Taehyung added, “Goodnight,” like he didn’t want to go to sleep, like he wanted to keep talking, or at least go look up what had happened to Hoseok. He stayed where he was, though Hoseok could feel the way the mattress shifted on his side.

“Goodnight, Taehyungie,” Hoseok said back, and did his best to go to sleep.

-------

That morning everything was the same as it had always been, the hot cocoa, the marshmallows, Taehyung’s smile. Hoseok was glad, because he felt like something had shifted somehow, but he wasn’t sure what it was or how to fix it.