Chapter 5

“What did you pick?” Taehyung asked, situating further into the couch.

“Fox and the Hound.”

“Oh, I love that movie!”

“I cried every time I watched it as a little kid,” Hoseok admitted.

“Me too. I’m going to try my best not to cry this time though, but it’s just so sad. They grew up and became too different to stay friends forever, that’s just too much for me, you know.”

“Definitely,” Hoseok agreed, and settled down so that his thigh was resting on some of the edges of the blanket.

“I just wish things didn’t work out that way, but I guess that’s just life sometimes,” Taehyung sighed. He shook his head. “Sorry. Anyway, let’s just watch.”

They spent the rest of the afternoon watching movies. Taehyung picked the next movie, and it was something artsy that Hoseok fell asleep during, though later he swore up and down that he didn’t just so Taehyung wouldn’t feel bad. He allowed Hoseok to pick the movie after that, and so they went back and forth until finally it was time for dinner.

Taehyung didn’t let Hoseok help in the kitchen, telling him to just play with Yeontan until dinner was ready, and so they went outside to play this time.

Sunset was almost as lovely as sunrise at Taehyung’s farm, Hoseok found out.

There were more purples in the sky this time, dusk making everything turn chilly again, but it suited it all somehow. Hoseok just stood and watched, not remembering the last time he’d had a moment to properly appreciate a sunset--until he heard Taehyung calling for him.

“Hyung?” Taehyung said. “Are you coming inside, or do you want to eat later?”

“Wait, no, I’m coming,” Hoseok said, and turned reluctantly to go back inside, where Taehyung and Yeontan were waiting.

--------

The next morning was pretty much the same.

The main difference was, Taehyung made hot cocoa instead of coffee. He even had funny little colored marshmallows to decorate the top, and he grinned when he saw Hoseok making a face at them.

That morning at breakfast, Hoseok let him cook again since Taehyung shooed him out of the kitchen when he tried, but before he could walk out the door Hoseok asked, “Is there anything that I could help with? Or, you know, anything that I could do?”

“Isn’t this your vacation?” Taehyung asked. “You can rest if you want to, that’s fine.”

“No, I want to help,” Hoseok said firmly, wanting to make sure that Taehyung knew that he was serious. “With my job, I’m really busy all the time, so I’m not really used to just sitting around. I’d like to do something here, just to pass the time.”

“Well,” Taehyung said, pursing out his lips as he thought, “you can feed the chickens, I guess. Come on, I’ll show you what to do.”

Hoseok followed Taehyung to the barn, where Taehyung lifted a big bag of chicken feed like it was absolutely no problem. He wasn’t wearing a shirt with long sleeves, despite the coat, and so Hoseok was blessed with a view of the way his muscles flexed and strained under the weight.

Taehyung wasn’t huge, or anything--Hoseok knew a lot of guys that practically lived inside of the gym, mostly dancers--but he had the nice muscled build of someone who did physical labor every day.

Like an unwanted intruder in his apartment, the thought I wonder if he could pick me up like that, came into Hoseok’s mind. He shoved it away instantly, not wanting to get into anything, but as he looked at Taehyung’s arms he still wondered.