Let's Get This Party Started

A/N: Happy Birthday JamesTheSwagg3r ! I hope you have a good one. 😁

Jay's pulse pounded in his ears as he raced toward the automatic door, slamming his knee and hip into the ground to slide under, only to crash into Nya on the other side. He acted on instinct, rolling them over until he was on top, shielding her from the explosions reverberating through the corridors. After the rumbling stopped, he looked at her, eyes wide and dumbfounded.

"When I said let's get this party started, I didn't mean cause a cascading explosion throughout the whole compound!" Jay shouted, flinching at the sound of another explosion in the distance.

Nya shrugged her shoulders and flashed him a sheepish smile. "I might have accidentally crossed the wires and . . . added too much fuel?" she tried.

The expression on Jay's face didn't change. He opened his mouth, as if to respond, but snapped it shut at the sound of footsteps running towards them. They darted up, scurrying behind an arch support, muscles coiled and breaths stifled as they waited to knock out the new batch of foes. The henchmen were disoriented from the explosions, unwittingly running straight into their strike zone. Nya effortlessly decked three goons while Jay finished off the rest with a well-timed bolt of lightning.

"Epic eff-ups are my trademark," he said, looking over the knocked out bodies for clues. Another explosion echoed in the distance.

Nya crouched down to rummage through the pocket of one of the henchmen. "I guess you are rubbing off on me." She found a key fob and stood up with her prize, casting Jay a mischievous glance. He grimaced in response. "Come on," she gleamed, pulling him towards another hallway, "this might be our ticket out of here."

The duo ran, knocking out stragglers in their wake, finally coming to a halt at large double doors equipped with more security measures then the cave at the Monastery.

"I don't think that key card is going to cut it." Jay murmured, inspecting the security protocols. Nya tried swiping the card anyway.

"Access denied."

She tried again.

"Access denied."

She waved the key card over the transponder one more time.

"Access denied."

Jay grabbed her hand before she could try again. "That's not working. We need a new plan. Look," he pointed to a metal box mounted to the wall next to the doors. "I think this is a retina scanner."

Nya frowned. "That won't work for us, unless—"

They simultaneously turned toward the knocked out guards. Jay grabbed one, grunting as he hoisted up the deadweight and brought the man's face level with the scanner. Nya swiped the key fob once more then pried open the guard's eye.

"Access granted," said the polite, disembodied voice as the double doors slid open with a quiet whoosh. Jay absently dropped the guard, distracted by the lights turning on, illuminating the large room. Nya gasped in delight.

"Are you thinking what I am thinking?" Nya asked, unable to contain her giddy squeal.

"Zombie sharks with lasers, but how do they attach the lasers without getting eaten?"

"Jay," she sighed his name, restraining herself from responding to his goad.

He flashed her a dumb smile as she resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "I'm thinking we just hit the jackpot, and this is our ticket out of here." He offered her his hand as they waltzed into the room.

oOo

A shadowy figure tapped his fingers on the sleek black surface of the conference table. Several screens lined the walls around him, most flickering with static.

"Report," he rasped, voice gravelly and low, piercing the ears of his followers and causing them to shudder.

"We— we lost levels 3, 6 and 8. Sir," whimpered one of the henchmen.

"And the ninja?"

"They are cornered, Sir."

"Where?"

"In the maintenance bay."

There was a pause and the henchmen shifted uncomfortably.

"You mean to tell me," the man rose, towering over his subordinates, "that two of Ninjago's best mechanics, who just blew up half my base," he pointed towards the malfunctioning screens, his voice growing louder with every word, "are locked in the one place where they have infinite materials to create their means of escape!?"

"Y— yes?"

"YOU IDIOTS!!"

oOo

Jay crossed his arms and tilted his head to the side. "I love it when a plan comes together."

"You outdid yourself on the design this time," Nya complimented him.

He grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips for a light kiss. "I had a beautiful muse to inspire me. Shall we?" he gestured towards the mech and she nodded in agreement.

Nya landed in the pilot's chair, running her fingers over the shiny displays and inhaling the sweet scent of new upholstery.

"Bringing back memories?" Jay asked, noticing her appreciation of the mech.

"Bittersweet," she whispered, grabbing the thruster controls.

"I'd say let's get this party started, but I don't want a repeat of last time."

"Yes you do," she snapped back, a smile returning to her face.

"I'm beginning to think you cherish me for being an idiot as much as I cherish you for being insane."

"That is what makes us a good team," Nya mused, and Jay felt his heart leap into his throat. "So let's blow this compound sky high and get this party started."

"When we are done here, let's go somewhere nice."

"Nice?" Nya flipped a few switches and the mech moved toward the hangar bay doors, blowing them to pieces.

"Yeah, like a vacation. Just you and me." Jay swiveled the turret and mowed down a fleet of enemy vehicles.

"Mmmm, that does sound nice. Where?" She adjusted the speed to slice through oncoming bogeys.

"I'm thinking a warm, sandy beach with gentle waves and an impressive view."

"Don't you hate the sand?" she giggled.

Jay kept firing with the turret, electrocuting several more henchmen who were trying to flank them. A thunderous boom trembled through the hangar bay. "Sand is tolerable with the right company."

"Mmmm, sounds nice. When do we leave?" Nya almost gasped as she hit the breaks, pulling the mech into a barrel roll before righting the machine.

"Let's finish off this base and take our shiny new mech there."

"Sounds like a plan, ninja. Let's get this party started."