Moonlight and Neon Lights (Pt 3)

A/N: This is the third (and final) part - make sure you read part 1 and 2 first!

Jay wobbled as he stepped out of the car. He was feeling fatigued from using his lightning so many times in a row.  It wasn't just an endurance issue, he was summoning and manipulating powerful blasts, almost nearing his limit. His elemental power thrummed angrily under his skin, as if it were protesting the misuse.

But that didn't matter. The only important thing was to get Nya to safety. He could rest and catch his breath later.

Nya seemed to notice his sluggishness. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Just a little tired from using my lightning so many times in a row. I'll be fine."

"You sure? You don't look like yourself."

Jay flashed her a cheeky grin. "I'm always myself when there's danger around."

Nya sucked in an exasperated breath and rolled her eyes again. "Right . . . Okay then. Let's head towards the street and see if we can find transportation."

After they exited the vehicle, Jay touched his hand to the hood and pumped as many joules of electricity as he could into the car, hoping to fry any electronics and sensitive tracking equipment. His body screamed at him, annoyed at the continued overuse of his powers.

His foot slipped and his knee almost collided painfully with the ground, but he caught himself in time and stood up, trying not to shake from exhaustion.

Nya stood idly, watching the brilliant display of sparks as the SUV short-circuited in the alleyway.

"I'm ready for a nap," Jay declared as he shuffled away from the car and offered his hand to Nya. Arm outstretched, palm up, like a gentleman.

She blushed as she placed her hand in his. "The Master of Hyperactivity is actually tired?" she teased.

Jay tugged her forward, pulling her into a crushing bear hug, enjoying the way her elemental power thrummed, as if it were trying to assuage his own.

"Ha ha, very funny," Jay said between breaths against her neck. "But you know what would energize me?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

Nya giggled, holding onto his shoulders with her own crushing bear hug. She leaned back slightly, their faces inches apart—a gesture which made Jay feel more than a bit guilty about how much he wanted to kiss her right then. But he couldn't do anything except keep them both alive until help arrived. That was all that mattered.

They walked quickly along the narrow lane, dodging piles of trash left by careless pedestrians and street dwellers. There weren't any cars parked on either side of the road, which made Jay feel even safer than before. Even though he felt exhausted from all the use of his elemental powers, he still knew that it would take some time for the other gang members to track them down. And since they shook off the four pursuing vehicles, the others probably thought that they escaped.

Ahead, a group of men approached from across the street, talking loudly among themselves and laughing. They wore dark clothing and carried long swords slung over their backs.  Okay, so maybe they didn't shake off all the pursuers.

Jay tensed, grabbing hold of Nya's arm. "Follow my lead."

He pulled her behind the corner of a building, where there was barely space for two people to stand shoulder-to-shoulder. A few seconds passed without anyone noticing them hiding, but then one man turned his head in their direction and began walking slowly towards them.

Jay took in a deep breath and released it through clenched teeth. He needed to rely on his element once more.

With a surge of energy, Jay summoned his lightning again. Its bright blue glow illuminated the palm of his hand, on standby to electrocute the unknowing attacker.