Dungeons and Dragons

When men lay down their swords,
beasts will devour maidens.

Nya fidgeted absently with the hem of her dress, staring blankly at the cell wall. The dungeon was cold and dark. The dank atmosphere sat heavy on her chest. Her mind felt fuzzy, her limbs weak.  They weren't feeding her much. 

She pulled in a deep breath, then instantly regretted it.  The stench from the stagnant air was foul and it burned in her lungs.  She wheezed out an exhale, choking ungracefully as she struggled to cover her mouth.  The last thing she wanted to do was cause a scene and attract unwanted attention.

The hem on her dress was starting to fray.  Embroidery of gold and pearl outlined the elegant red robes of her dress, telling a story of her kingdom's history.  The Fire Country's symbol was prominent throughout the design, and she kept gripping the embossed fabric in her hand.  It was her lifeline.  A reminder of who she was, and where she came from.  Her finger slowly traced over the phoenix symbol.  Vermilion Bird of the South.  Purifying fire. Rebirth.

A low, guttural, growl reverberated through the cold stone walls.  Her skin pricked.  Her breath stifled.  Panic crept into her veins as a cascade of shivers raced down her spine.  She did her best to not make a sound as she scurried upright and fumbled for her makeshift weapon.  Heavy footsteps echoed in the dark, growing closer.  Nya tried not to whimper.

The improvised shiv dug into her hand as she clutched it tighter.  She swallowed down her fear as her pulse roared in her ears.  Her eyes were glued to the bars of the door, waiting for the creature to arrive.  Light appeared as the footfalls grew louder, until they were drowned out by a high pitched crackle.  Her chest felt tight.  Nya hated that sound.  That sound meant only one thing: paralyzing pain.

Claws rapped on the stone floor, the footsteps coming to a halt.  The light was blinding and loud.  Nya stared into the eyes of her captor and jailor, and they stared right back, hungry and bright, pupils pulled into tight slits.  Azure Dragon of the East.  Protector of the Lightning Kingdom. 

Its nostrils flared as it considered her, tilting its head to the side before releasing a sigh.  It sniffed the air, lighting radiating off its body in a vivid blaze of blue against the cold stone walls.  Satisfied with its exploration, the dragon broke the staring contest and stalked away.

Nya waited until she could no longer hear the beast, finally allowing herself to move.  Tears stained her cheeks and her throat felt dry.  The realization crushed every ounce of fighting spirit she had left.

No one was coming to save her.

A/N: Anyone interested in this AU?