Grief

So first up there's a trigger warning over this whole chapter. A lot of violence and things along those lines. As well as some abuse and death. So if you don't do well with these things then read at your own discretion.

Also sorry this chapter's late. My day yesterday was pretty hectic and I didn't really have time to publish.

Mingi awoke to his father shaking him violently. Just as graceless as always, the pompous man then wandered over to the chair in the corner of Mingi's room, practically falling onto it. Mingi kept an emotionless mask over his features as he stared at his father for a moment.

"What do you need sir?" Mingi's voice was painfully monotone, sounding strange to his own ears. He'd only been there for one night, yet he missed Yunho and Ateez more and with each second that passed. He found that, without Yunho, his sleep was turbulent and plagued with every nightmare his brain could conjure.

It was safe to say he wasn't ready for war that day.

But then again, could a person ever be ready?

"I have something to show you today. Get ready, you have five minutes." Then Mr. Song struggled to his feet and stumbled out the door. Mingi felt his blood chill at the potential nightmares that awaited him that day, yet still tried to remain strong.

Even still he took as long as possible to get ready.

Mingi kept his head down as he opened the door. He forgot how much he hated the stench of sweat and grease that shrouded Mr. Song in a thick fog. It almost suffocated him, clogging his air ways with filth. Those tiny, scrutinising eyes took in Mingi's appearance.

A hard slap cracked across Mingi's face.

"What have I told you about that ugly ability of yours. Go back to a human form you freak." Then the man wandered away, expecting Mingi to follow as always. The ripping appearance of his skin settled when it had changed from tan to paper white, his nails lost their sharpness and eventually the fullness of his features also turned more gaunt. Just as his father wanted.

"Apologies, sir." Mingi followed obediently. Something inside him felt like dying, in that exact moment. A pain that seared over his flesh from his eyes all the way to his chest. While Mingi continued to follow his father the feeling only grew stronger, an agony he couldn't have ever comprehended.

"We've started a new project, Mingi." Mr. Song finally spoke. His tone was laced with cruel delight. "See, Earth is salvageable. And no matter how far humanity travels, it will always be our home. We thought the neighbouring planet held what we needed to fix the damage. But we were wrong..." there was the beeping of buttons on a keypad. The sliding of an automatic door, "it's been here all along."

Mingi felt the bile rise in his throat.

The burn of it disgusted him as he threw up the contents of his stomach beside him, his knees having given out. But nothing could erase the image that plagued his mind. The horror that had seeped into his bones.

When the vomit finally stopped forcing it's way through his throat, he looked up again.

Wires.

Machines.

Bodies.

There were rows upon rows of Atiny. Their skin was pale as death. Their eyes stared at nothing. They were held in the air by wires and cables, hooked up to machines and tubes.

The glow of their skin was completely gone.

All that remained were dark, almost black, veins where it used to flow.