Learning

It had been quite some time since Mingi had seen Yunho. As it turned out, Hwasa had been more upset than predicted, basically banning Yunho from seeing Mingi for the time being as punishment. The only time they'd been able to see each other is when Mingi was able to sneak, with the help of Wonho, up to Yunho's window for short chats. Yunho also began to teach him some Atiny songs, because his mother wouldn't be suspicious of his singing. Apparently she'd also been asking more and more about humans, maybe growing suspicious of them.

On top of his already bad mood, Mingi received a message from his father that morning about a surprise. So he was paranoid and missing Yunho.

So, it was safe to say, Mingi was on edge.

"Geez, watch it." Wooyoung grumbled as Mingi bumped into him in the hallway, immediately annoying him for no reason. Wooyoung was also hostile after talking to his father earlier that morning, telling Ateez they'd find out about it soon anyway.

"Sorry your majesty, should I bow in hopes of receiving your mercy?" Mingi drawled sarcastically, going to leave before Wooyoung stopped him.

"What is your problem?" Wooyoung glared at Mingi, while Mingi just shrugged him off.

"Guys chill out." Hongjoong tried to get between them. Yet Wooyoung just grabbed Mingi's shirt and forced Hongjoong out of the way.

"Wooyoung let go." Mingi's voice was laced with venom, and Wooyoung didn't take it well.

"Stop being a self-entitled prick and don't drag everyone down with your shitty mood." Wooyoung let Mingi go and went to walk away, but somehow Mingi wasn't done.

"Well you seem pretty pissy too. Why don't you just go to that boy of yours and cry a fucking river." Mingi realised then he'd said the wrong thing. He was about to apologise...

"Why don't you go back to your people. But hold on... who are they? Do you even have any? Because you aren't one of us, are you." Hongjoong didn't seem to know what to do, and even Yeosang looked stunned. "You don't belong Mingi."

Wooyoung's expression changed as he realised what he'd done.

"Mingi I-" "Don't... just don't." Mingi felt horrible. Deep down he knew they'd both said stupid things in the heat of a rather pointless argument. But he almost couldn't hold back the tears.

"We don't feel that way Mingi... none of us do..." Hongjoong tried to comfort Mingi, but the other just took a step away.

"I'll be back later." Mingi walked away quickly, ignoring Hongjoong's assurances and Wooyoung's apologies.

All his life it had been the same thing. His father, other kids at school... they all thought he was a freak. He never belonged before, and everyone made sure he knew that. He'd also said mean things to Wooyoung in that moment, but he couldn't get past the new doubt surfacing within his mind.

Did they actually not think he belonged with them?

Was it all a lie to make him feel better?

Mingi knew it might be silly, but he couldn't stop the growing worry from pushing down on his shoulders.

Mingi sat on the edge of the gently rippling lake, finding it's colour fascinating still. It reminded him of pink lemonade, and he wished it tasted like it too. But alas, 'twas just water flavour. After a moment's hesitation, Mingi got up and stripped his shirt, shoes and socks and dived into the water. The cool liquid shrouded his body as he opened his eyes. Small fish, all looking both familiar and strange at the same time, scattered and rushed away from him. Mingi floated around aimlessly, waiting til his lungs burned in a silent beg for air before going back to the surface. He was reminded of the first time he met Yunho, and flustered at the memory. He made such a fool of himself, and he would never forget that. But he had never been more happy to be an idiot, for it meant he met Yunho, and had the ability to become friends with him. Mingi was about to get out again after a few more minutes when a voice made him stop.