The boy next door

(Song link and sketch of the houses) ^

*

A soft autumn breeze gently caressed your face as you approach your house on the way back from school, back pack hung carelessly on your shoulder and orangey reddish leafs crunch under your feet as you walk.

As you turn the final corner so you are on the street of your house, a few white trucks come into view with multiple men and women in high visibility costumes loitering about your house and the one next to yours.

It has been up for sale for about a year now so seeing someone else move into it seems slightly miraculous.

You can't lie and say the excitement wasn't bubbling up inside you in curiosity given that the last occupants of the house were an old couple just on the brink of death. Seems rather morbid to say but it's the truth.

Your mum waves you over from the doorway of your house mouthing something incoherent.

You do an awkward jog until you reach her, pushing past her slightly into your house and slinging your bag off your shoulder before turning to face her.

"I know you had lots of homework to do tonight, but I invited the new neighbors round for dinner tonight. I also told them you would make a lemon drizzle cake for dessert so after I quickly introduce you, you best get on it." She says rather carelessly while peaking round the door to get another good look at the neighbors.

Your mum then takes your hand in hers and pushes you out the house as a woman starts walking up towards you.

She has dark brown hair and brown eyes, slightly tanned skin and the most beaming white teeth you have ever seen.

"Hey! You must be y/n, it's so lovely to meet you. I'm not sure if your mum has mentioned but I have a son just your age." She says holding her hand out towards you.

You shake it and smile at her, greeting with a polite hello.

Suddenly, a boy pops out from behind the lady. He's quite a lot taller than you and has fluffy brown hair, slightly lighter than his mums but with identical brown eyes.

He catches you eye and you find yourself unable to look away.

He smiles at you shyly and you do the same before his mum eventually says his name is Louis and they turn around to begin unpacking again.

Still, your gaze remains on him, it's only when your mum nudges you towards the door when you snap out of your trance and begin making the lemon drizzle cake.

-

You got the cake out twenty minutes ago and you now find yourself looking in the mirror at your outfit.

Your mum told you to dress 'smart' but after making you bake a cake, you decided that you would only half way meet her standards

A knock on the door catches your attention as you snap your head in the direction of the front door.