~Chapter 10~

I wake up the next morning pretty grumpy. For one, I now have to drive myself home, and I barely got any sleep. The unfortunate thing about getting a tattoo on my side is that I tend to sleep on my side. Therefore everytime I rolled onto my right side, I couldn't help letting out a tiny hiss. The entire area feels like raw skin after you get a scrape. To be honest, this tattoo wasn't my brightest idea, but at least my mom won't find out about it anytime soom--as long as she never catches me changing.

When I arrive back home, I barely have enough time to close the door behind me before arms pull me into a tight embrace, squeezing my sides as though I'm a nearly empty toothpaste container. I have to clench my teeth to refrain from letting out a shriek not just from the pressure of the hug but from the pain radiating from my side. Once he releases me from his bear hug, I smile. "Dad you're here!"

"I couldn't miss spending the holidays with my baby girl," he says, flashing his signature lopsided grin.

Sometimes you don't realize how much you miss someone until he comes back. I really missed my dad--from his suffocating hugs, to his boisterous laugh. He doesn't seem to have changed to much--still the same milky brown skin and greyed hair, except I notice the dime sized bald spot on the top of his head and let out a chuckle. "Someone's getting old," I state, pointing to the top of his head.

"I'm getting old? You're the one about to go to college. You're about to be an adult," he says giving me a poke. 

Slipping out of my sneakers, I shake my head. "Don't remind me please."

"Is Jamie back?" I hear my mother yell.

"Yeah, I'm back," I call to her.

"Good. You and your father can go get the tree in the basement."

I groan. Nobody ever wants to help bring up the six foot Christmas tree, and usually luck works in my favor and I don't have to. Unfortunately, I do this year. Dad nudges in my side, a playful smile on his face. "You heard your mom. We better get going before she comes out here and slices our throats."

"I heard that," she calls from the kitchen, causing us both to laugh.

These are the moments I miss most. Back when I was little, everything seemed so perfect. No we weren't the richest family, but we had each other and tons of happiness. Then, all at once, everything turned sour. I know mom and dad tried to stay together for us, but at the end of the day, they couldn't do it. I don't fault them for it. Some things just don't last forever, but I'm glad they're still able to be friends. Some kids can't say the same for their parents.

The basement is cold and dusty, filled with things we haven't touched in years. I never go down here by myself--too creepy for my taste. It's the perfect place for a horror movie, and everyone knows I'm not too good with things that go bump in the dark. Flicking on the light, dad takes the lead down the stairs. "So how has school been?"

"Good enough. Pretty busy."

"Are there any boys I should be worried about?" he asks lifting an eyebrow.

"Dad, no."

"Is that like a "dad no stop talking about it?" Or a "dad no, there are none?"'

"Both," I reply shaking my head. We make our way through the old pieces of furniture and appliances, to the corner where the tree is stored. "How about you? How's New York? Any females I should be wary of?"

"New York's good. Actually, since you mentioned it, there is a woman I've been seeing lately."

I'm silent. There's a tug in my heart and it feels as though it's landed in the pit of my stomach. I expected my parents to date, but it's been a few years and nothing so serious has come about where they feel the need to tell us about their partners. Therefore this answer comes as a surprise but I manage to squeak out.