~Chapter 22~

"C'mon mom, it's not that big of a deal" I state. I honestly didn't imagine getting permission to go on this road trip would be this difficult.

"Look, you have an appointment that week. You've already missed two months. I can't have you miss another."

Her lack of faith in my responsibility is irritating me. She knows that all I've ever tried to do was do the best for me and everyone. If I thought missing another appointment would ruin that, I wouldn't want to go. "I've been seeing Tisha for years. Three appointments won't kill me. I'll have Sam with me too. She'll look out for me."

My mother sighs, running a hand through her messy curls. Her dark brown eyes focus on me, and I can tell she is but seconds from defeat. She might say yes.

"Ok," she agrees, "but promise me you will be responsible. You're young, and I'm not stupid."

"I know, mom. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I run into her arms, wrapping my arms around her and nuzzling my head in between her shoulder and head.

"Yeah. Yeah. But you have to call me at the end of everyday. Do you understand me?"

I nod, half listening to her and half too excited to care what she's saying. Running upstairs to my room, I quickly shoot Sam a text message saying I can go. Surprisingly, Sam's parents were not that hard to convince this time around; she could go as long as I could go, and since now I can go we can officially start preparing for this trip. 

Although the road trip isn't for another two weeks, I'm so pumped that I decide I might as well start packing. As I ruffle through my closet, in search for my duffel bag, I hear my door open followed by the loud and boisterous voice of Lexis.

"So where is it my little sister is off to?"

Pulling the dark strap of my bag, I fall back, landing on my butt, duffel bag in hand. "None of your business."

"On the contrary lil sis, I do believe, as a Page, this is my business," she states, crossing her arms. Behind her stands Kori, intently listening and watching. Kori tends not to come into my room alone, not unless asked, which I appreciate. She always tries to talk to me with Lexis nearby. 

"It's just me, Sam, Ronnie, and Ashton. We're driving to Florida. It's gonna be a lot of fun," I spit out.

Lexis lets out a haughty, "Hmm." Her eyes twinkling with amusement.

I roll my eyes, knowing full well what she's saying with her silence. "Get out of my room."

She lifts her hands up in defense. "Just remember be safe, and you have my number just in case I have to come down there and lay some hands," she states throwing a punch in the air, before she exits. I watch waiting for Kori to follow Lexis' lead. Still she lingers. "Are you gonna go or what?" I ask bluntly.

She pauses, cocking her head, hesitance written across her face. "You're okay right?"

I'm caught off guard, and slightly annoyed that she asked. "I'm fine. Are you gonna go now?"

She nods, and quickly heads out, closing the door behind her. I search under the piles of clothes I've laid out to pack for my phone. I text the group chat to let them know of the good news. My phone vibrates soon after with smiley faced emojis, and then a separate message from Ashton. I unlock the screen to see more of the message, curious as to what he has to say.

Can I come over? I read, and watch as the grey bubble moves as he types. You don't have to say yes.

Sure. I shoot back. Tell me when you get here.