~Chapter 13~

"When's your sister coming home?" asks Tisha, as she wipes the lenses of her glasses with her sleeve. She places them back on the rim of her nose, adjusting them appropriately as she lifts an eyebrow in curiousity.

I sigh, massaging my temple with my fingers. "Two weeks or so."

"And how do you feel about that?"

I scoff, slightly annoyed by the question. Can it be any more obvious what the answer is? "I'm as livid as I was when I first found out about it. I don't want to be anywhere near her."

"Do you think you could ever get along with her?" she probes, her grey eyes looking to me with hope.

I shrug. "I don't even know anymore. She's my sister, but she was really, excuse my french, fucked up. She made it all seem like my fault. As if I wasn't already coping with problems of my own. She made me go that far--she made me seem crazier than I already was," I reply suddenly noticing the quiver in my voice. My eyes roam toward the large clock hanging above the door, and I watch as the second hand smoothly glide across the numbers. I let my head fall back on the arm of the red couch as I close my eyes. There are just certain parts of everyone's life that they wish to not revisit; this whole topic of Kori is one of them.

"You all will have to live with each other for at least a couple of months, so do you think you guys will at least be civil?"

"As long as she stays the hell out of my face," I reply, "Now can we move on?"

************

Thankfully, my session ends soon after that conversation and Sam arrives to take me over to her house to get ready for the night. I do my best to take all the negative energy and shove it to the back of my mind. It may no longer be Sam's birthday, but this is her celebration--her time to turn up as a legal adult. It is my duty as her best friend to make this night as amazing as possible.

We do our best to do our make up as perfect as we can, looking up YouTube videos to guide us in our efforts. By the time we finally feel content with our outfits, Sam's room is a mess filled with clothes, food, and makeup. Yet I must admit we look good. Sam's dark brown hair is up in a large, pretty messy bun and her eyes are done with smoky black eyeshadow that gives her an air of mystery. She wears a cream colored mini dress that clings to her body perfectly, showing off her cleavage. It has a plunge in the back that shows off her nicely toned back. Her pink lips curl into smile and she asks, "So, how do I look?"

"Are you sure you're legal? Because you're looking too hot to be legal," I reply with a laugh. "But honestly, do you think I'll be able to get in this club? I don't think I look much older than I usually do." And that's not saying much, since I pretty much still look like a sophomore. I tried my best to make sure my makeup made me look older, but there's not much you can do when you have the face of a toddler. I always look three years old.

"Trust me, you should have no problem getting in the club. You look amazing." Sam's phone vibrates, and she grabs it off her bed, unlocking it to see who it is. "They're here," she announces.

Gathering our belongings, we grab our purses and head down the stairs to join Ashton, Lizzie, and Ronnie. Lucky for us Sam's mom goes to bed early and her dad is away on a business trip , so we sneak out the house, closing the door softly behind us. We quickly hop in the back of the car sliding in beside Ronnie.

Ronnie flashes me a smile as he looks us both up and down. His dark brown hair is gelled up and tucks up under itself to form a nice little bump. "You guys look good."

Ashton turns around, his hair no longer sweeping across forehead but instead cut short and gelled spiky on top his head. Stubble outlines his smile as he looks me in the eyes, before he quickly turns back around, pulling the car away from the curb.