~Chapter 25~

Seven hours of driving doesn't seem as bad when the day before you pulled a fourteen hour drive. Still my legs are sore when we finally exit the car. Closing the driver's seat door, Ashton reaches toward the sky, his shirt lifting up to reveal the trail of hair leading to his pelvis. "You really should've had a license. You haven't slept during any of our drives. We could've had you do all the driving."

I shrug. "Let me at the driver's seat then."

Sam looks me over, her brows scrunched as though trying to analyze me. "She's good. I think we all value our lives."

The outside of our hotel is filled with other youth fulfilling spring break plans. People push by us, already tipsy and drunk although the sun hasn't even begun to go down. A man stops to smile at me and Sam and takes two of the brightly colored beads around his neck off. He places a purple one on Sam and a green one on me. "Welcome to New Orleans," he says in a deep Louisianan accent. There's a hint of alcohol on his breath, but he seems nice enough.

Sam and I give him our thanks, and Ronnie chuckles. "You think I can get any free things?" Taking our things out of the trunk of the car I shrug. "Maybe if you were as cute as us."

He feigns disappointment. "You're right I'm way more attractive. It's intimidating." He pretends to flip imaginary hair.

Sam rolls her eyes. "You're annoying as hell."

"I like to think it's endearing."

Ashton shakes his head. "Can we get a move on? I'm trying to get a little bit of rest before we go out."

Sam nods in agreement. "Same. I can't sleep right in the car."

"You guys are tired? How could you be tired? Don't you want to go exploring? See some sights? Make some memories?" I ask.

"Slow down Sonic," Ashton, says giving the keys to the valet and heading inside. "We can make some memories after I take an hour nap."

I groan in annoyance. I didn't come all this way to sleep. Ronnie notices my frustration. "If you want Jamie, I'm willing to roam the streets with you until these grandmas get their beauty rest."

"Really?" My arms wrap around his side, giving him a quick squeeze. "Thank you. At least you're not lame."

Sam rolls her eyes while Ashton sticks out his tongue playfully. Together, we all check in. The boys sharing one room this time and us girls another. When we enter our room, I plop my bag on one of the full sized mattresses and begin taking out some clothes to change into. Sam takes off her shoes and changes into something more comfortable. She sits on the bed, her legs criss crossed in front of her. I can feel her eyes on me as I get myself together. I glance at her. "What's up?"

"What's up with me? What's up with you?"

My brow furrows. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. You've been acting," she pauses. "strange. Different. Like--"

"I'm fine," I interrupt.

"Are you sure Jamie? I just don't want you to--"

"I'm fine," I insist, unsure of why she's being so overprotective. "If I say I'm fine, I'm fine. Look take your nap, and when your ready to have fun hit me up." I grab the clothes and makeup on the bed and take it all with me in the bathroom, deciding it better to get changed in there. Closing the door behind me, I take a look in the mirror. I tilt my head, examining the girl staring back at me. She seems fine to me. I shrug off Sam's worry and get started on my makeup.

When I'm done, I throw my stuff down on my bed. Looking over at Sam, I see she's already underneath the bedsheets. Her back faces me, and I can't tell whether or not she's asleep. Internally, I shrug, heading out the room.