53 of 53 - A Destiny Fulfilled

Cassie undid her braids before stepping into the shower. Her hair had gotten all gritty while hitting the volleyball around with Brandon. It had grown late, so she and Rafe decided to spend the night in her old bedroom at Aunt Marnie's condo. He sat on the bedroom chair eyeing her like a hungry wolf while she stood beside her bed, non-verbally communicating an invitation.

She wore a sheer nightgown for the occasion.

She contemplated the old legends and how her kind supposedly seduced seafaring men by sitting on rocks, brushing their long hair, and singing their hypnotic songs.

Rafe didn't need that kind of enticement. He was already breathing heavy. "Would you like me to braid your hair?"

"Sure, if it pleases you."

He sat her down on the bed and took a seat beside her. He began forming the braids but soon lost interest and started kissing her neck and running his hands over her body.

Cassie let him take the lead. He slipped off her nightgown and eased her onto her back. After undoing his trousers, he fumbled for the condom in his pocket.

She stayed his hand.

He stopped and met her gaze.

"You won't need that." She studied him carefully, watching the confusion on his face.

"But you explained to me what would happen—"

"—I know," she interrupted.

After a long pause, Cassie figured she had scared him and now regretted it. Rafe rolled onto his side facing her and began stroking the side of her face with the back of his hand. "Cassandra, you're only sixteen. Being so young, you can't possibly want to have a child."

"I'm also an endangered species. I don't have the luxury of waiting another five or ten years. Something could happen to me and..." It had been the wrong thing to say, because Rafe had been overly sensitive about her safety. She held her breath waiting for his reaction.

He continued stroking her hair. He remained silent, but she could see the concern in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Rafe. I shouldn't be pressuring you."

"You don't need to be sorry."

"Yeah, I do. That night at the lighthouse. You had every right to be angry. I should've woken you and told you I had to leave. I was selfish and didn't take your feelings into consideration. I should've told you about it after I returned. I just now did it again, not taking your feelings into consideration. I'll do better in the future, Rafe. I promise."

He kissed her forehead. "I got to thinking about that night. If you had woken me and told me, I would've stopped you. You did the right thing. Since then, I've come to realize stopping you from being who you are would be a mistake."

He rolled onto his back and looked at the ceiling. "There are a lot of women serving in the armed forces in combat situations. Their boyfriends and husbands accept what those women do. I'm sure they hate it, but they understand."