46 of 53 - A New Ally

Webb learned during his time in the military when preparing for battle things never went as planned. They hit a big snag when Milos's men carjacked a Verdanx Pharma vehicle with a young woman driver and male passenger. Since he and Rafe were supposed to take the place of the captured employees and use their confiscated IDs to gain entry to the Verdanx compound, it would never work. Rafe was similar in build to the male, but Webb would never pass for a young female.

Milos had secured the captured Verdanx employees and made sure they were well taken care of. Webb grew despondent over his inability to think up an alternative plan when by a stroke of good fortune, Ofelia announced she had recruited the captured young woman.

"Her name is Robin, and she lives right here in Tarpon Springs. She's entering her senior year at University of Florida at Gainesville and has a summer job at Verdanx Pharma as an errand runner."

Webb thought it too good to be true. "How did you turn her? How do you know she can be trusted?"

"I told a close version of the truth. I said the girl they had been looking for has unique cells, like a modern-day Henrietta Lacks. Doctor Armando had been searching for her and found her. I said he's holding her against her will and means to exploit her body. Turns out Robin is sensitive to female exploitation and was incensed by my story. She loathes Armando but works for him because the job pays well."

Webb didn't like it. He would have to speak to Robin himself to take her measure. "Didn't she wonder why we weren't calling the police?"

"I told her the truth about Cassie being Milos's young niece. I implied that Armando would physically harm Cassie if the family contacted law enforcement."

"She bought that story?"

Ofelia continued, "As I said, Robin lives here. Everyone in Tarpon Springs knows about Milos and his off the books businesses. She's aware of his reputation and understands how Milos would want to handle things his way."

Ofelia snapped her fingers. "Oh, I didn't mention I promised Robin a summer job at one of Milos's businesses that would pay more than her current position at Verdanx Pharma. It would save her a long daily commute. That's what sealed the deal."

Rafe spoke up. "It'll work. I'll change into the man's uniform and assume his identity. It's dark. The gate guard will see Robin as usual and assume everything is normal. Mr. Webb, you can hide in the trunk. We'll have to take our chances with Corky and Mick hiding under blankets in the back. If we're lucky the gate guard won't shine his light in the back."

"And if we're not lucky?" Ofelia asked.

Rafe picked up a taser from the table. "I'll scramble him before he has a chance to call in a warning."

Webb thought the kid had a reasonable plan. "What about the employee who rode with Robin?"

Ofelia grunted. "You know how men are. We bruised his ego by capturing him. He's surly and difficult. Milos's guys will keep him on ice until it's over."

Rubbing his eyes, Webb realized it had been a long time since he ran a nighttime operation. He was a forty-seven-year-old man and shouldn't be pushing his body the way he used to in his twenties. Yet, he was the most qualified. "Ofelia, you and Milos should leave now with your crews in the boats since it'll take you longer to get there. We all know what to do. Keep in touch."

As the two boat crews departed, Corky and Mick joined him and Rafe. They had Robin escorted into the room and asked her to sit. Webb had a favorable first impression of the woman. She seemed at ease and in-control, unintimidated by the four strange men whom she never met.