Prologue

Damien's POV

I woke up to an empty bed, which is quite weird I may say. I looked around the room but there was no sign of her. I pulled on a t-shirt and came down.

I saw my lovely pregnant girlfriend making breakfast. I walked to her and hugged her from behind.

"Good morning, love." I whispered in her ear. She giggled and turned, pecking my lips.

"Morning, Dami." Emerald said and smiled once she pulled back. I bend down to her huge belly and smiled.

"Morning to you too, baby." I kissed it. I felt it's kick and smiled at my love. "Let's eat first." I pulled her to the chair and made her sit.

After breakfast, I was getting ready for work while Emerald was looking through some parenting books.

"When will you come back?" She asked. I looked at her through the mirror and shrugged.

"I don't know. Early perhaps." I put on the tie.

"Good. Because I'm feeling a little uneasy today." She mumbled.

"If you want, I can stay. I don't have that much of a work."

"No, Dami. You have already taken many leaves for me. Not anymore." She got up and made her way to me. I turned to her. She looked at my tie and sighed. "Sometimes, I feel like you do this purposely." She said as she tied the tie up, properly.

"Maybe." I smirked and she glared at me. I chuckled and kissed her head. "I'll get going. Call me if anything happens, okay?" She nodded. "Bye." I pecked her lips for the last time and set off.

••••

At office, I got many greetings and I just gave them a stiff nod. I made my way my office and sat down, going through work and presentations.

I picked my phone up to see if Emerald has sent me any texts. But who knew my phone would be dead. I put my phone on charging and start to work again.

The door opens and reveals Brody, my best friend.

"Hey dude." He smirked and took a seat by placing his feet on my desk. Even Emerald does that. "Ho-"

"Remove your feet first." I glared at him. He did and chuckled.

"Woah! You never do that when Emery does it." He accused.

"Because, it's adorable when she does it and ill-mannered when you do it."

"Okay. How's my sister?" He asked.

"You don't have a sister." I deadpanned.

"You know who I'm talking about. Emerald. How is she?"

"Eight and a half months pregnant." I smirked. He huffed.

"I know that."

"Then why do you ask?" He sighed in defeat.

"You're impossible." He threw his hands up in frustration and sighed while I chuckled. "No, but seriously. How is she?"

"Good and gorgeous. She was searching for baby names yesterday. She is very excited for the baby and me too. I want it to be a girl, what do you think?" I asked.

"I want a niece too. I'll teach her boxing when she grows up." He smiled.

"Then, I'm keeping her away from you." I said and chuckled deeply.

"You can't do that-" the door opened and Maria, my assistant came in with a very panicked look.

"Mr Knight, your wife is in labor!" She exclaimed. Both Brody's and mine eyes widened. I quickly got up and grabbed my coat along with keys.

"Which hospital?"

"City Care Center." She said and I sprinted out with Brody.

••••

"Emerald Romano?" I asked the reception.

"May I know your relation with her?" She asked in very weird tone for which I'm sure she'd get a few punches from Emerald.

"I'm her boyfriend! Goddamnitt! Tell me where is she!?" I yelled at her. She gulped.

"Room no 202." She said and I searched for it. I went in as a nurse nodded for me to. She was laying there crying in pain.

"WHERE THE HELL IS HE!?" She screamed. I skipped to her side and held her hand.

"I'm right her, love. Right here." I whispered soothingly and kissed her forehead.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" She said with her eyes closed.

"Ms Romano, push harder please." The doctor said with soft eyes.

"I can't. I can't. I'm sorry Damien. I can't." She said and fell back. Her eyes closed and she just panted softly.

"You have to Emerald. Do this for the baby." I said in her ear.

"She's exhausted. Get the vacuum cup!" The doctor said to the nurses. A nurse came and tried to push the baby bump on Emerald's belly downwards.

Emerald's eyes opened with a gasp and I heard a very screeched voice crying.

"It's a girl!" The doctor exclaimed with huge grin. I smiled at Emerald and kissed her forehead, wiping her tears.

"Congratulations, love. We have a daughter." She smiled and hugged me.

Nurse handed me my daughter. She stopped crying and looked at me with her dark shiny grey eyes like mine. But she looks mostly like her mother with dark brown hair and chubby cheeks.

"She looks a lot like you." I said as I handed her to her. Emerald smiled and kissed her cheeks.

"May we know the name please." I heard a nurse saying.

"Kiara Grace Knight." I said with a grin. Grace was her mother's name while Emerald came up with Kiara and she wanted the baby to be under my name.

"You will get discharged tomorrow, Ms Romano. You and baby should rest till then." The nurse said and left.

"Why didn't you pick your phone up?" She asked me.

"It was dead, sweetheart. I'm sorry." I kissed her nose. She smiled. "Can I hold her again?" I asked. She giggled and handed Kiara to me. I looked at the peacefully sleeping baby in my arms.

"Thank you, love. For making me the happiest man alive."

••••

Later, I went to the office for the rest of the work. Emerald and Kiara were sleeping in the hospital for tonight. I said I would check up on her before going home.

After working for four hours, I finally came to the hospital. When I came in her room, there was no sign of her. But the baby was still in the crib. I walked to the baby, thinking she might have gone to washroom bit I found a note in the crib with the sleeping baby.

It was Emerald's handwriting. But the words she wrote, crashed my whole world down. There was no sign of her things. Nothing. No one could tell that there was someone else other than Kiara in this room.

I'm sorry.

This was what she wrote.

She's gone.

She left me.