Chapter - 14 Order of Merlin

What had happened at Malfoy Manor was like a nightmare for Severus, who found it hard to sleep at night when the pitifully bruised figure of Seraphina appeared before his mind's eye. It was easy for Seraphina because she was used to her insomnia, so that helped her. Early morning, after the whole drama had taken place was the most hectic and dramatic for both Severus and Seraphina.

After a few hours of the nightmarish sleep, a note from Headmaster Dumbledore arrived for both of them. Albus had given them a day off from their classes and duties, although Seraphina received it with reluctance at first, subsequently, she was thankful to the old wizard for his generosity. Madam Pomphrey didn't discharge the young witch from the hospital even after much pleading. The Medi-witch also didn't allow anyone to meet the Ravenclaw until she was convinced that Seraphina was in a condition good enough to answer their questions.

At last, when the evening sun's dying rays entered the infirmary from the large window over Seraphina's bed, another message for Seraphina arrived from the Headmaster's office. The young Ravenclaw read the message with a sly smirk playing on her lips.

Dear Seraphina,

The time has come for you to answer some questions. I hope you can remember enough from yesternight to come to my office and recall it for us.

Albus Dumbledore

Poppy helped Seraphina get off her bed. The wounds that the Death Eaters had given the young girl were wrenchingly ruinous and the use of magic would have been fatal, so Poppy had to heal many of her injuries in the Muggle way.

The girl was so abysmally mutilated that even the most effective potions of Professor Snape's and Madam Pomphrey's healing spells couldn't heal Seraphina enough so that she could walk on her own. The nurse had to help Seraphina walk up to the Headmaster's office Gargoyle. Many students eyed the duo on their way to the seventh floor of the castle. Not a single soul residing in the castle knew the events that happened at Malfoy Manor except for the ones who had been present there, so everyone was surprised to see a sincere student like Seraphina injured out of the blue.

The Headmaster's office was a little too crowded for its capacity. Habitually, the old Headmaster was seated behind his desk, and the Head of Gryffindor house Professor Minerva McGonagall stood beside his table Both had an austere look on their faces, but the old wizard's eyes twinkled from behind his half-moon glasses. Professor Filius Flitwick gasped at the sight of his best student in that condition. Another figure of a middle-aged man appeared from the green flames of the fireplace at the same moment as Seraphina made her entrance. It was the Minister of Magic, Jacob Griffiths.

He gave the young witch a sly smirk as he made his way to the Headmaster's desk and seated himself comfortably. Another person stood there in the shadows of the candlelit room. It was Professor Severus Snape, who without a second thought went to help Seraphina make her way towards the armchair which had been distinctively kept for her near the fireplace. Albus and Minerva gave each other a playful smirk, while the Minister sat there dumbfounded. He hadn't a single clue why the pair had smiled when Severus had helped the girl.

" So, I suppose we all are ready to hear the truth, " declared Albus as he raised his wand and with a wave of the Elder wand, a hot cup of tea appeared out of thin air in front of everyone in the office.

Jacob Griffiths opened his mouth to speak, but before any words could pour out of his lips, the sound of hurried footsteps climbing the stairs filled the room. Everyone in the room stared at the door blankly. Abruptly, the gate thudded open and, appearing from behind it, the figures of two young students in their uniforms with blue trimmings, panting heavily. They were Lucifer and Elenore.