Chapter Twenty-One

Annabeth walked into school the next day and everyone was staring at her. Leo walked up to her quickly. "Dude," he whispered. He fumbled with his phone and showed Annabeth a picture. "Absolutely no judgement and I always support you, but everyone in this school has seen this picture," he said. 

Annabeth looked at the phone and the picture was the same one her dad had. "How did this get out?" she asked. "I..."

Piper walked up to Annabeth. "Annabeth--"

"Not now, Piper." Annabeth tried to walk away. 

"No, just listen--"

Annabeth spun around. "I said not now!" she yelled. "Stop whispering and staring! I kissed a boy, big fucking deal!" In the crowd she saw Percy, she was about to say something but she didn't get the chance.

"Annabeth." The principal walked out of this office. "My office, now."

She sighed and walked after Principal McCallan. 

"Your grades have started slipping," he observed. "Is everything okay at home?" he asked, sitting down behind his desk. 

She nodded and sat down in the plastic chair, "Yes, I've just been busier than usual."

He sighed. "I understand that you have... a unique situation--"

"My dad just works a lot. It's not a big deal, Principal McCallan,"  Annabeth said. "I promise."

"Okay, well, just in case it's ever... not fine, keep this around." He reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a flyer and handed it to Annabeth. 

On the flyer, there was a phone number to call about abusive parenting if you were in need. 

She ends up screaming at everyone in the hallway until the principal comes and tells her to come into his office.

"Principal McCallan, I don't need this, I told you--"

"And I told you," he interrupted, "I am here for you, Annabeth."

Annabeth stood up. "I should really get to class, AP Bio isn't a class you want to fall behind in," she said. 

Her principal nodded. "Yes, of course. Have a good day, Annabeth."

She nodded politely. "You too."

She hurried her way down the hallway and slipped into class. Everyone stared at her as she tried to go unnoticed. "You're late," her teacher said. "Have Thalia catch you up on instruction. I do not like repeating myself."

Annabeth slid into her seat next to Thalia who leaned over and whispered, "He stood up for you after you went into the office."

"Who?" Annabeth asked, her eyebrows kneaded together. 

Thalia smiled. "Percy."